Converting Big Site To XF - Server Specs?

Of course but it puts an end to the endless circle argument.

Wasn't really an argument. No one has the data do no one can spec him a server. Recommending datacenters and hosting companies was good information however.

I think it was mostly good.

The unknown quantity was the attachments. 4TB is just a scary massive number.

It isn't exactly rocket science. You don't need a whole lot of data to make a recommendation or spec a server. You aren't going to put an 18 million post 2000 concurrent user forum on shared hosting or a VPS. The only thing in question (and ever in question in this thread) is the attachments. Still requires a dedicated server. The drives/size will be the only variable.

I think it was mostly good.

The unknown quantity was the attachments. 4TB is just a scary massive number.

Hopefully it will be reduced down enough to keep it to a single server. Regardless, Slavik seems to have the info needed.

It isn't exactly rocket science. You don't need a whole lot of data to make a recommendation or spec a server. You aren't going to put an 18 million post 2000 concurrent user forum on shared hosting or a VPS. The only thing in question (and ever in question in this thread) is the attachments. Still requires a dedicated server. The drives/size will be the only variable.

Of course. A dedicated server was always in play. Whether he needs more than one has been the question and that solely relies on having the post conversion attachment size.

Well the db is currently 1/3rd the size.

Attachments will likely also come down to suit also.

Awesome. Huddler platform, while very visually appealing on the front end, always seemed cumbersome to me with their data. They did offer a lot of neat features though.

Awesome. Huddler platform, while very visually appealing on the front end, always seemed cumbersome to me with their data. They did offer a lot of neat features though.

I wonder were those the snake oil sales guys who couldnt really explain to me what their platform was other than we take a baseline and anything above that baseline is a percentage ours....

Ok guys, I'm getting closer to needing to pull the trigger on this and would love you thoughts!

I'm thinking about going with http://www.reliablesite.net/

I have 4TB of attachments that are NOT going to be imported into XF's system. They are going to simply sit on the server as primarily "read only". All new files moving forward will be in XF's file system.

So, for my setup, I'm considering two basic configurations:
  1. One HUGE big beefy server that does EVERYTHING. Probably something like 20 core / 64GB RAM, 2 x 1TB SSD in RAID 1 for DB, system files, and new images + 2 x 8TB SATA in RAID 1 for old images.
  2. One beefy server for apps, DB, and new uploads, one storage/backup server for old uploads. Basically splitting up the 4tb of old stuff and moving it onto a "storage" server.
I'd love your thoughts!

How much are you going to pay for the option 1 and 2 per month?

Based on my calculations, the price ends up being about the same... for example:

Option 1: $360 + $200
Option 2: $550

So, it ends up being relatively negligible with regard to cost.

My big considerations are:
  1. Ease of maintenance: obviously one server is easier than 2
  2. Performance: This is the biggest question?
  3. Stability & Security: ???

The cost is still pretty high.

1. Yes, One is better than two for management/maintenance.
2. A proper config should not cause any perf issues.
3. That depends on your developer and server admin.

For the RAID, make sure it is hardware RAID.

Have you thought about backup? A proper backup system will cost quite a bit too.

One factor missing in all this is CPU speed. XenForo admin processes are single threaded. For these processes (which includes import and rebuilds) it doesn't matter how many cores you have. XF only uses one. A 1 CPU 4Ghz will be faster than 96 CPU 1.8Ghz when it comes to these processes.

Good point @Alfa1

For the two-server system, the main server would probably be: 16 Core Server - Dual Intel Xeon E5 2620 V4
If I went with the BIG BEEFY, I might go with Dual Xeon E5 2630 V4

However, more cores will be handy during regular usage (lots of visitors etc).

Also, chipset matters. a 2680 will almost always beat a 2630 even if the 2630 is higher clocked.

For what it is worth, import process can be multithreaded...somewhat...

Dual 2630 isn't really beefy.

Ok, here's my current plan:

• Main Server for Application & DB: http://www.reliablesite.net/dedicated-servers/12-core-server/dual-intel-xeon-e5-2620-V2-128GB
• Storage / Backup Server for serving static files via Cloudflare CDN: http://www.reliablesite.net/dedicat...?server=hdd-storage-32tb&promo=DSTR&amount=20
• nginx via Centminmod and PHP7

I'm debating if that "main server" is plenty or not-enough for my site... maybe something more beefy like the 2620 V4? I'm also hoping that ReliableSite is going to be a good provider.

Top Bottom