Convert from phpbb 3.0.12 to XF and test site

WaGuns

So, we are looking at moving our forum to XF. Currently on 3.0.12, so I understand I would need to download XF1, convert, then update to XF2. Is there a way for us to do that on a testing / sandbox domain and then move everything over to the main domain once it's all up and running? I'd like to get the site looking the way we want, let our staff play with it etc before unleashing the beast on our members.

Since I am used to open source phpbb, I never worried about install-rights or licensing. Want to make sure we do this the right way.

If you upgrade your phpBB installation to 3.2 then you can import into XF2 directly.

Yes, you can install as a test and then move to production but it must be done in a certain manner to avoid duplication of effort.

I am doing some test upgrade to 3.2 now and not a fan of the results, which is why I am thinking it's time to go XF.

Looking at your guide (thanks for that), my test site resides on the same server, but different domain/account within my WHM. So, if I am correct, I can get the XF site up and running (clean) on the test site via your instructions and test the importing process via backup of my phpBB db. Then, once I am confident in the process, I can reset XF to the clean master backup, move all of the XF files over to the real domain via FTP or SSH, then migrate the up-to-date db backup into the XF, solve any issues that are now known because of the test site and the rest is just gravy...

We have over 1mil posts, lots of attachments etc. There are also a feedback mod on the phpbb site that I need to play with to see how I can get the users feedback to play well with the XF feedback (people are very particular about their feedback).

So I won't run into any licensing issues with installing XF on TestSite, and then installing it on RealSite since they are on the same server?

So I won't run into any licensing issues with installing XF on TestSite, and then installing it on RealSite since they are on the same server?

As long as you privately protect the test site. I have one up, it's what we do. You can only allow certain IPs access it, or just set a password protect via your Control Panel. So when your staff accesses it, they have to enter a specific password first. I'd prefer the pw method, since you can set multiple, assign each person their own specific/private PW. And don't have to worry about changing the IPs in your whitelist should that happen.

As long as you privately protect the test site. I have one up, it's what we do. You can only allow certain IPs access it, or just set a password protect via your Control Panel. So when your staff accesses it, they have to enter a specific password first. I'd prefer the pw method, since you can set multiple, assign each person their own specific/private PW. And don't have to worry about changing the IPs in your whitelist should that happen.

PW Protected sounds like what it would be then for us too. That way staff can get in and tinker/learn/break the site.

Top Bottom