Not planned Conversations cannot be seen

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is not something we would implement.

You will need to look for a third party add-on providing that functionality.

unrelated. admins have always had access to personal messages from the database as these are not encrypted or anything. andy's addon provides a ui for it. i ended up using it after i got complaints from members about someone who was mass spamming people through PMs. i did put up a message at relevant places that mods would be monitoring private messages randomly to keep such behavior in check. i do agree that this should not be a native feature.

XF doesn't call them PMs - they are conversations.

They never were private in any software - anyone with DB access can read them.

They never were private in any software - anyone with DB access can read them.
I'm not agree at all !
You can call them whatever you want but as long as it's between two members it becomes private even if you listen behind the door.
Conversations between two members are by nature private, they are not secure but they are private.

I think that this is a classic grey area and I can see why XF wouldn't want to stoke the controversy by making it a native feature.

I think it's fine for admins (perhaps only a select few) to be able to read private conversations if it's stated at account registration that this happens on a routine and random basis to help with the running of the forum. In particular, it can be explained that it will be used to monitor conversations for illegal things / crimes like drugs dealing, stolen goods, or worse, especially if there's suspicion of wrongdoing. I can't see anyone objecting to that and will discourage this sort of behaviour.

I guess we'll just have to rely on third party add-ons for this functionality.

It seems to be a suggestion that would make sense if viewability was permission based.
Definitely. Given the privacy implications, on my forum, it would only be myself as the owner and one or two other admins that I'd allow to have this function.

Top Bottom