XF 2.2 conversation limit

stanleyb23

Lately there are spambots registering at my forum. They copy an old question and post them again. I dont know why but i m a little concerned.

I d like to stop the possibility that the can send conversations to all my users. Is there a possibility to let users only start for example 4 new conversations a day.

There is no daily limit functionality but you can prevent newly registered members from being able to start conversations, and only allow members who have been registered for a few days, or made a certain number of posts.

There is nothing built in which will limit the ability to send messages, other than the flood timer which is a global setting.

There is no daily limit functionality but you can prevent newly registered members from being able to start conversations, and only allow members who have been registered for a few days, or made a certain number of posts.
still not daily limit in xf2 about conversations or conversation replys per day per usergroup ? not even an addon ?

@Brogan This is exactly what I would like to do, especially the ability to limit newly registered members to only start a convo after they have made a certain number of posts. How do I do this?

The concept is detailed here: https://xenforo.com/docs/xf2/groups-permissions/#an-example-promotion

Change the permission to 'start conversation' from 'Submit content without approval'.
Quick question @Brogan

Trying to wrap my head around this in relation to an existing paid Premium membership I have.

So le'ts say I add a new promotion, that new usergroup can be called something like "Verified" which would have the permission "start conversation" set to yes. Then after let's say 5 posts they get promoted from the current "Registered" usergroup (convo permission set to no) into the new "Verified" usergroup where they would have permission to start a conversation. Is that correct so far?

So how would that work with a paid user upgrade, some users might be in the "Registered" usergroup while others would be in the "Verified" group. After their paid membership expires would they return to the proper former group depending on how many posts they have made? Also, would there be any conflicts with a paid Membership that I'm currently unaware of?

Your understanding is a bit flawed -- users don't typically get promoted from one group into another, they have groups added.

Every registered user should always be a member of the Registered group. Then they get additional privileges based on any other user group they get promoted into. So your verified users will be in the Registered group and the Verified group. If they pay for a membership, they get added to whatever you name your paid group, and get additional privileges from that group. When their paid membership expires, they are removed from the Paid group, but stay in the Verified and Registered group. Paid memberships will not conflict with the Registered/Verified promotion.

Read the entire manual section on User Groups and Promotions -- this should make it a bit more clear.
XenForo Manual said:
All users must belong to at least one user group but can be members of many. We recommend that all users have the registered group as their primary user group -- including your moderators and administrators! When a new user registers, they will always be put in the registered group automatically.

Quick question @Brogan

Trying to wrap my head around this in relation to an existing paid Premium membership I have.

So le'ts say I add a new promotion, that new usergroup can be called something like "Verified" which would have the permission "start conversation" set to yes. Then after let's say 5 posts they get promoted from the current "Registered" usergroup (convo permission set to no) into the new "Verified" usergroup where they would have permission to start a conversation. Is that correct so far?

So how would that work with a paid user upgrade, some users might be in the "Registered" usergroup while others would be in the "Verified" group. After their paid membership expires would they return to the proper former group depending on how many posts they have made? Also, would there be any conflicts with a paid Membership that I'm currently unaware of?
You almost got it. If they are in Registered (set to No) you can add Verified (set to Yes) and they can be in both. Upon expiry, Verified is removed.

This is what you need to remember:

As a user may be in many groups and have their own custom permissions, determining the final permission value is done by determining which value has the highest priority. The priority is defined as: (highest priority first)

1. Never: this is an overriding no and the permission is not granted. It always trumps other values and should only be used in specific scenarios.
  2. Yes: the permission is granted.
  3. No: the permission is not granted.
To make this clearer, here are some examples of what permission would "win" in various scenarios:

• No + Yes = Yes
  • No + Never = Never
  • Yes + Never = Never
In other words, if you set Registered to Never, a Yes would not work in Verified.

Top Bottom