Add-on Conventional Private Messages

LuvMeSumZen

I have a feeling this would be a major deal, but you can't know unless you ask. I am never going to like the XF conversation system nor do many if not most of my members. I would like to completely gut the conversation system from my forum and replace it with a conventional private message system with just the basic features such as VB/mybb etc. has.

Is this feasible? "Feasible" being relative . . . . .

What specifically do you not like about xenforo conversation system.
I think it is feasible by extending the default conversation system.

I have a feeling this would be a major deal, but you can't know unless you ask. I am never going to like the XF conversation system nor do many if not most of my members. I would like to completely gut the conversation system from my forum and replace it with a conventional private message system with just the basic features such as VB/mybb etc. has.

Is this feasible? "Feasible" being relative . . . . .

Obviously I'm not sure what your needs are as I barely remember the vBulletin conversation system, and have never used the mybb one.

Would something like this work for you? - http://xenforo.com/community/resources/conversation-stripper.2838/

Obviously I'm not sure what your needs are as I barely remember the vBulletin conversation system, and have never used the mybb one.

Would something like this work for you? - http://xenforo.com/community/resources/conversation-stripper.2838/

No, I am looking to get back to a conventional PM system not just in functionality but also in name. Here's what I want - pictures are worth a 1000 words as they say . . .

PMs1.webp

PMs2.webp

PMs3.webp

On top of having the functionality of quick search and advanced search, I also want to replace the nomenclature "Conversation/s" with "Private Messages" and "Leave" with "Delete" (and have the functionality of a hard delete) and "Star Conversation" with a tick box with options and "Invite" with "Forward" with the function of a forward. As it stands, I cannot forward a PM to one of my staff without the member seeing I have "Invited" a staff to look at the PM. These are the basics of what I want.

The top pic is of a VB forum, the bottom two of a mybb forum. The mybb is the best PM system out there in my opinion and exactly what I am after.

As an intermediary solution you could use the phrase system in XenForo to change the naming of certain actions. It's in your AdminCP under Appearence -> Phrases. Search for the phrase you want to change, like 'Conversations' and then change it's value to something like 'Private Messages'.

You can look around for a few add-ons that add the functionality you want, this one looked like it might be of interest to you. There's also Conversation Essentials which adds heaps of functionality to the system.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is something already out there that will do what you want it to do but you should be able to look around for a developer who's willing and has time to do this for you! With the suggestions I made above I think you'll be able to get pretty close though, there will be a few things such as forwarding though that you'll need a add-on developed to achieve.

You can't even delete convos. You have to "leave a conversation" to "delete" a conversation but it doesn't really delete it cause they can message you back if you don't choose ignore future messages. While that probably seems cool to KAM as far as functionality goes, it ends up confusing regular folks who just want to delete their pms like any other normal system. Your stuck with it though. Just change the phrases. "Leave" could be "Delete" *shrugs*

You can't even delete convos. You have to "leave a conversation" to "delete" a conversation but it doesn't really delete it cause they can message you back if you don't choose ignore future messages. While that probably seems cool to KAM as far as functionality goes, it ends up confusing regular folks who just want to delete their pms like any other normal system. Your stuck with it though. Just change the phrases. "Leave" could be "Delete" *shrugs*

You obviously did not read my descriptions very clearly. That's why I want to "GUT" the whole conversation system from my forum and "replace" it with a conventional PM system, so I can have the functionalities I described.

Edit: I just realized you were probably replying to shad... and not me. If so my bad!

I realize this would most likely be an extensive - expensive - undertaking but I am will to entertain any bid.

So let's say he was just to change the terminology from Conversations to Private Messages, if for nothing else to help ease the transition and lessen the confusion. Would he have to change all phrases that have the term "conversation" in them? Or can he change one main term and all of the other phrases will get changed? I did a search in the phrase manager for "conversation" and found 6,327 matches.

So let's say he was just to change the terminology from Conversations to Private Messages, if for nothing else to help ease the transition and lessen the confusion. Would he have to change all phrases that have the term "conversation" in them? Or can he change one main term and all of the other phrases will get changed? I did a search in the phrase manager for "conversation" and found 6,327 matches.

As far as I know, he'll have to change it manually or he could do a PHP clever script way which would consume much less time in changing the phrases.

This could be really expensive, I guess you should be willing to expect lower mid-$$$$ bids.

I'm not looking to just change the terminology I am looking to scrap entirely the conversation system and rip it out of the core. I guess this would mean re-writing a good portion of the core software.

It's better if you extend the core as you won't be concerned about loosing your changes in updating xenforo.

I'm glad you brought this back up because I have been meaning to ask someone to create a FWD add-on. Staff often need to see a members PM from one to another for whatever reason but cannot do so without copying and pasting, or invite which is not an option for this frequent need. Thanks for the reminder.

just wanna add that I would LOVE to just ditch conversations and have a PRIVATE messaging system ala VB

All you would need is an addon that removes the ability to have more than one person and then splits multiple people into multiple messages. Thats the only difference.

Rename phrases to private message and change "leave" to "delete" VB! Leaving a 2 person conversation is the same as deleting in VB. When 1 user deletes a PM in VB it doesn't delete the PM if the other user has it saved. Just deletes the relation. Once both leave or delete it deletes. Or in XF's case when all leave, it gets deleted.

Top Bottom