Contact Us

Bob_R

Just taking a survey. :)

Do you guys and gals leave the Contact Us link at your websites available to guests?

Though conveient it's a good way for past, mischievous members to continue contacting you.

Should I chose to change that how do I make Contact Us not available to guests?

Thanks!

He hasn't even thought of using that method yet. The previous contact was thru a reply from an old conversation. Instead of going to my personal email in went to my sites web hosting email (cpanel).

Just turn off the Contact Us for a few days until the mischievous member loses interest and goes away.

I did just do that. I'm sitting here thinking in all these years, I think maybe once someone has used the Contact Us link.

Even though he's banned, I guess he would be able to reply to old conversations unless I change the site's email addy. Hence this thread. He couldn't have signed in obviously.

Easiest way to do this is directly editing the footer template.

Find:
Code:
                <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.contactUrl.type} === 'default'">
                    <li><a href="{xen:link 'misc/contact'}" class="OverlayTrigger" data-overlayOptions="{&quot;fixed&quot;:false}"><xen:if is="@xb_footer_fa"><i class="fa fa-envelope-o fa-fw"></i> </xen:if><span>{xen:phrase contact_us}</span></a></li>
                <xen:elseif is="{$xenOptions.contactUrl.type} === 'custom'" />
                    <li><a href="{$xenOptions.contactUrl.custom}" {xen:if {$xenOptions.contactUrl.overlay}, 'class="OverlayTrigger" data-overlayOptions="{&quot;fixed&quot;:false}"'}><xen:if is="@xb_footer_fa"><i class="fa fa-envelope-o fa-fw"></i> </xen:if><span>{xen:phrase contact_us}</span></a></li>
                </xen:if>

Replace with:
Code:
            <xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id} != 0">
                    <li><a href="{xen:link 'misc/contact'}" class="OverlayTrigger" data-overlayOptions="{&quot;fixed&quot;:false}"><xen:if is="@xb_footer_fa"><i class="fa fa-envelope-o fa-fw"></i> </xen:if><span>{xen:phrase contact_us}</span></a></li>
                    <li><a href="{$xenOptions.contactUrl.custom}" {xen:if {$xenOptions.contactUrl.overlay}, 'class="OverlayTrigger" data-overlayOptions="{&quot;fixed&quot;:false}"'}><xen:if is="@xb_footer_fa"><i class="fa fa-envelope-o fa-fw"></i> </xen:if><span>{xen:phrase contact_us}</span></a></li>

Easiest way to do this is directly editing the footer template.

Find:
Code:

Replace with:
Code:
            <xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id} != 0">

If I am correct and I think I am. This makes the Contact Us link viewable to members only?

If I am correct and I think I am. This makes the Contact Us link viewable to members only?

Isn't this what you asking for? if not then sorry my bad, but it's more convenient to leave the contact us for all members and guests, I get a lot of site reports from guests, I don't know about you but it's important to me than anything else. :)

He's asking if it's worthwhile :) personally I'd leave it open to everyone. If you only want members to be able to contact you then they can use the PM or forums... In which case disable Contact Us altogether.

He's asking if it's worthwhile :) personally I'd leave it open to everyone. If you only want members to be able to contact you then they can use the PM or forums... In which case disable Contact Us altogether.

Thank you for the clarification, and yes the contact us is something essential specially for guests, I'm not afraid of it getting abused cause the captcha is always there.

I have it available to guests and had no issues to date. Though if they want to abuse it, they will get to know my TOS quite well, as that is what my Q&A captcha is based on, :)

Top Bottom