considering Xenforo

webducknj

Hi folks, worn out from site development that started with vBulletin, then went to Simple-Press, and now possibly considering xenForo.

Long list of requirements though;
  • Full time, professional development team
  • Active 24 hour forums and support
  • CMS magazine style homepage
  • Fast (I mean really fast)
  • Tapatalk compatible
  • mobile functionality built in
  • ability to upload up to 100 photo files per post (gallery in a photo in a post would be great)
  • Photo browser to view collections of photos within a post without having to click-view-close each one individually
  • Robust registration spam control
  • integration with mass email services (MailChimp would be nice)
  • username character flexibility (to include spaces, period, underscore, ampersand, etc.)
  • can display thumbnails or full size photos within a post
  • instant or digest email notifications of subscriptions
  • real-time new posts list (doesn't need refresh to remain updated)
  • can turn subscription and message notifications off
  • users can start groups (private or public) and have friends designated and displayed on their profile pages
  • centralized control of account settings
  • Forum groups can be hidden and displayed separately via a link to another page
  • video embedding in post
  • individual users can be designated moderator status for individual sub-forum
  • integration with advertising management software
  • multi-quote support
  • guest can read forum content but not see photo attachments
  • manageable back end for new Admin guy (me)
  • polls
  • control of edit parameters for members
  • achievement based user titles
  • users can flag spam and inappropriate posts
  • etc.
  • etc.

If it can do all this then I'd like the name of a pro development team that can copy our current site into Xenforo and migrate our database as well.

Am I expecting too much?
Thanks,
Bart

Last edited:
Hi folks, worn out from site development that started with vBulletin, then went to Simple-Press, and now possibly considering xenForo.

Long list of requirements though;

Hi, I have a minute here so I will play some target practice with the bullet list.

• Full time, professional development team
The devs are quite professional and down to earth.
  • Active 24 hour forums and support
Like a 711
  • CMS magazine style homepage
This can be done multiple ways and based on taking a quick look at your site and is completely possible with either of two nicely built addons that I can think of off the top of my head.
  • Fast (I mean really fast)
Xenforo is the fastest modern forum software out of the box that I know of, speed of course is determined by many things other than the script running but as for xf itself, it is indeed quick.
  • Tapatalk compatible
I don't use this myself by I am pretty sure there are people around here that do use it.
  • mobile functionality built in
Xenforo is responsive by default which you can check by making your browser window smaller right here in this post.
  • ability to upload up to 100 photo files per post (gallery in a photo in a post would be great)
You can set limitations for attachments in the backend and as far as an embedded img gallery bbcode this could be custom made it a multitude of ways.
  • Photo browser to view collections of photos within a post without having to click-view-close each one individually
If you upload a couple images in a post here (dragging and dropping an image file in the editor will upload an image) you can select to embed full size images or thumbnails and then once posted if you click on the thumb in the post you will see the lightbox popup with all images in it, there is also settings in the ACP for much to many things to list here.
  • Robust registration spam control
There are anti spam measures build it.
  • integration with mass email services (MailChimp would be nice)
I haven't done this yet myself but I have seen quite a few posts around here where people mention doing as such.
  • username character flexibility (to include spaces, period, underscore, ampersand, etc.)
You can define a list of unavailable names and you can also use regular expressions to define a pattern that users names must match. On a testboard I just registered . _&|&_. as a user name and it works just fine, I believe commas are not allowed though.
  • can display thumbnails or full size photos within a post
Yup, mentioned above
  • instant or digest email notifications of subscriptions
There is on board alerts and optional email subscription to threads
  • real-time new posts list (doesn't need refresh to remain updated)
This could be done with an addon if it is needed
  • can turn subscription and message notifications off
yup
  • users can start groups (private or public) and have friends designated and displayed on their profile pages
you can start group conversations in the inbox but I believe you would need an addon to have publicly joinable groups.
  • centralized control of account settings
If you click on your name in the navigation bar all account settings are right there.
  • Forum groups can be hidden and displayed separately via a link to another page
Can be done in a couple ways.
  • video embedding in post
bbcode mediasites autoembed, for instance if you paste a link to a youtube video it auto embeds it when posting.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
  • individual users can be designated moderator status for individual sub-forum
Yup
  • integration with advertising management software
there is no direct integration with any ad management but it is quite easy to add ads
  • multi-quote support
the multiquote box said:

• guest can read forum content but not see photo attachments
optional
  • manageable back end for new Admin guy (me)
It is simpler to use while sacrificing less than the backend to any other web software I have tried.
built it
  • control of edit parameters for members
yup

If it can do all this then I'd like the name of a pro development team that can copy our current site into Xenforo and migrate our database as well.

Am I expecting too much?
Thanks,
Bart

Not at all, seemed like a bunch of valid questions to me.

Full time, professional development team

Yes.

Active 24 hour forums and support

Yes.

CMS magazine style homepage

There are add-ons for that.

Tapatalk compatible

Yes.

mobile functionality built in

Yes.

ability to upload up to 100 photo files per post (gallery in a photo in a post would be great)

Yes to uploading files.

No to the gallery. However, @Chris D has a gallery add-on.

Photo browser to view collections of photos within a post without having to click-view-close each one individually

Yes.

username character flexibility (to include spaces, period, underscore, ampersand, etc.)

More or less, yes.

can display thumbnails or full size photos within a post

Yes.

real-time new posts list (doesn't need refresh to remain updated)

That would require an add-on.

can turn subscription and message notifications off

Yes.

centralized control of account settings

Yes.

video embedding in post

Yes.

individual users can be designated moderator status for individual sub-forum

Yes.

multi-quote support

Yes.

guest can read forum content but not see photo attachments

Yes.

manageable back end for new Admin guy (me)

Yes.

Yes.

control of edit parameters for members

Yes.

achievement based user titles

Yes.

users can flag spam and inappropriate posts

Yes.

Top Bottom