1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering transfering my vBulletin for Xenforo...

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by JMEWLS, Jul 13, 2013.

1. JMEWLS

JMEWLS Active Member

Hey guys,

I've got a few questions surrounding the xenforo platform hopefully some people can answer these for me, I've notice that people are making the switch and the platform just seems so much more appealing then vBulletin now.

* Is there a global threads function? Been looking I couldn't find it... My forum now groups together all of the team forums posts and puts them into one forum. Users love it, it's probably their and my favorite feature on the site.
    * How is good is this forum when it comes to spambots and spam in general...
    * Will my SEO be compromised in the switch?
    * Does the forum support RSS feed posting?
    * Is it easy to transfer all my posts/users from vBulletin 4?

Looking forward to replies guys. I'm very keen on buying, just need some people to persuade me over the edge. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  2. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

Conversion is easy as hell, no problems. My SEO wasn't affected at all, I used redirects from my vbseo urls and I haven't noticed any effect in google. I also had no problems with spam so far at all.

Can't help with the global threads function, I think I've seen something around.

:)

3. arms

arms Active Member

4. JMEWLS

JMEWLS Active Member

What about RSS bots?

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is a feature to have threads posted from RSS feeds.

A vB4 importer is included in 1.2.

Have you tried the demo?

Admin Demo

6. JMEWLS

JMEWLS Active Member

I'm playing around with the demo now, just getting a feel for the interface. It's a lot nicer looking then vBulletin. Everything seems pretty easy to use thus far, I'll report back if I have any questions. Which I probably will soon.

7. JMEWLS

JMEWLS Active Member

Quick one, are you able to choose custom icons for the forums in the forumhome? Or is this another feature?

8. Brogan

You can do it using CSS - there are a few guides posted in the RM.

9. JMEWLS

JMEWLS Active Member

How about spam bots and such? Do many come about with xenforo?

10. Brogan

11. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

12. DirtRider

DirtRider Guest

My problem is that my VB site is so cusomized now with paid mods that I cannot move it over. I have however started a new forum with this software and I am loving it

13. skylab

skylab New Member

Does the import include transfers from vB5.0.3?

Also-- the site has over 2 million posts. Is Xenforo scalable? What's the resources like?

14. Brogan

There isn't a vB5 importer currently.

15. skylab

skylab New Member

Fastest reply ever. Hm alright. Any plans to? Unfortunately, I upgraded the forum to vB5 (huge mistake) and looking to get out of the hole I've dug myself in.

16. Brogan

In the short to mid term, probably not in the core.

17. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

The problem is, vB5 moved to a generalized data system which makes it like untangling spaghetti to figure out where the posts, threads, users, and other data are. It's a real mess and writing an importer is non-trivial.

XenForo is extremely lightweight and efficient even with large communities. The out-of-the-box Search works especially well even in medium to large communities. For very large sites, there is an affordable, supported Search add-on which makes searches lightning fast even with millions of posts.

pjfry likes this.
  18. skylab

skylab New Member

Please save me from hell and make it possible to import from vB5. I'm seriously begging.

19. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

do you have a relatively recent back up of vB4?

FredC, psTubble27 and Tracy Perry like this.
  20. psTubble27

psTubble27 Well-Known Member

That's what I was going to mention. What if you bite the bullet and just port your most recent backup of VB4?