Considering Moving 1M+ Board to XF

NURV

We're running vB for over 10 years now and are currently running 3.8. We've been considering a vB4 upgrade for some time now. The license has already been purchased but unfortunately we have several custom modifications that need to be coded as part of that upgrade. We've also been hesitant due to the mixed feedback vB4 has received. This got me thinking, if we're essentially starting from scratch with a vB4 upgrade, we might as well consider all of our options. From what I've seen of xF so far, I'm impressed. I have a few questions:

1. What is the current stage of development? Is xF considered stable for large active communities by now? How often are updates being rolled out?

2. How soon until Blog functionality will be added? If a vB were to switch to xF, is it a fair assumption to assume that when blogs are added to xF, an importer could be used to import old blogs from the old vB database at a later date?

3. Where can we find a list of "hacks" created to date, sorted by popularity? (Perhaps some of the common ones from vB that we use have already been created)

4. Where can I find websites and/or contact info and portfolios for some of the top xF skin designers? We have several PSD's for our new design that we'd want created as a skin.

5. Same as Question #4, but in regards to custom modders, programmers, or companies who work with xF from a development perspective. We'd be much more prone to switch to xF if we can hire somebody for custom development of any "must have" features we require.

6. How does the build in SEO compare to the popular vBSEO addon for vB?

7. Does xF support paid subscriptions for custom membership levels and usergroup permissions?

Thanks!

I'd like to switch to xF but there are a few things that I'm going to have to wait for. The primary things I can think of off the top of my head are:

1. Customizeable SEO Urls (sitemap generator would be nice too)
2. Subscription importer (a nice to have)
3. Warning/infraction style system (absolute must have, and I realize this is already in the works)
4. Functional Arcade (I understand this is third party, just mentioning it anyway)
5. Built in (non addon) referral system and importer from vB (A must have)
6. Password protected forums, including the ability to hide forums from non staff. (I saw in another thread that this wasn't available.)

I realize xF is in it's early stages still, but one thing you may want to consider as well is a mobile app since both vB and IPB have one now. (Certainly not a must have my any means though)

Just to point out something I saw, I seen a new xF board with 40K+ posts and 8k+ online that ran faster than my SMF board with 200 posts and 10 members online. Obviously that person most likely isn't on a shared host like me, but 8K online with no slow down? Geez...

What site was that? And speaking of that, does anybody here know when AVForums plan to switch to xF? I'd be very interested in seeing their site running on the new infrastructure.

I'd like to switch to xF but there are a few things that I'm going to have to wait for. The primary things I can think of off the top of my head are:

1. Customizeable SEO Urls (sitemap generator would be nice too)
2. Subscription importer (a nice to have)
3. Warning/infraction style system (absolute must have, and I realize this is already in the works)
4. Functional Arcade (I understand this is third party, just mentioning it anyway)
5. Built in (non addon) referral system and importer from vB (A must have)
6. Password protected forums, including the ability to hide forums from non staff. (I saw in another thread that this wasn't available.)

I realize xF is in it's early stages still, but one thing you may want to consider as well is a mobile app since both vB and IPB have one now. (Certainly not a must have my any means though)

What site was that? And speaking of that, does anybody here know when AVForums plan to switch to xF? I'd be very interested in seeing their site running on the new infrastructure.

What you really must accept NURV, is that most of the features you seek will probably not be included in XenForo. It helps not to turn the software into a bloatware. So if you need a sitemap generator, use XenUtiles witch has many other goodies including spam cleaning & blocking tools and stuff.

There is an add-on for making a forum password protected. You can hide forums by giving the designated forum usergroup specific rights. User with insufficient rights will not see that forum & access it. I'm doing that right now!

Infraction will come with 1.1 though an arcade system or subscription importer is more like a third party solution. If you are eager to switch don’t wait. It will give room for you to know the software even if you need to deal with add-ons or have some features missing. If you have a few bucks to spare I'm sure you will find skilled coder here to do custom work.

Waiting seems to be a very unnecessary thing to do at my point of view if I were you.

Just to point out something I saw, I seen a new xF board with 40K+ posts and 8k+ online that ran faster than my SMF board with 200 posts and 10 members online.

Hey what site was that? I'd love to browse around it and see how fast it is.

Also, speaking of fast, ever since the server change here, this site (xenforo.com) is blazing fast as well!

11. Not sure what is happening with v3Arcade; there have been programmers that have shown interest, but nothing has gone anywhere.
Unfortunately showing interest and following through are two different things. Another interested party has contacted me about the port so we'll see how that goes.

Hey what site was that? I'd love to browse around it and see how fast it is.

Also, speaking of fast, ever since the server change here, this site (xenforo.com) is blazing fast as well!

I'll try and track it down. When I found it, everyone on this site was talking about how it was running with 12K online, but when I got there it only had 8k online at once. It's one of the big boards listed somewhere on this site.

In all honesty... I have been considering the switch as well. Though we have a much smaller site as in compared to the authors members and posts (5,600+ members/120,000+ posts)

Anyway, what are some of the BIG pluses between vB and Xenforo? Has anyone made the switch from vB, if so, how do you like it and how is Xenforo better?

Feedback will be much appreciated!

Anyway, what are some of the BIG pluses between vB and Xenforo? Has anyone made the switch from vB, if so, how do you like it and how is Xenforo better?
I think the only true way to show the advantages of vBulletin VS XenForo is by example:

http://8wayrun.com/

My ENTIRE website is built on XenForo. There is NOTHING on this website that isn't XenForo. Show me a forum from vBulletin with this heavy customization and integration without issues.

I think the only true way to show the advantages of vBulletin VS XenForo is by example:

http://8wayrun.com/

My ENTIRE website is built on XenForo. There is NOTHING on this website that isn't XenForo. Show me a forum from vBulletin with this heavy customization and integration without issues.

I think Mr. Jaxel may have just sold me... I actually thought a lot of your stuff was customized by YOU much like your vB work previously.

Though, one complaint I have heard is the ability to easily moderate. I have heard from a moderator on www.Shoryuken.com that moderating isn't as easy. This true?

Also, thanks Jaxel... much appreciated!

I actually thought a lot of your stuff was customized by YOU much like your vB work previously.
It is.
A lot of what you see there isn't part of the core.

Though, one complaint I have heard is the ability to easily moderate. I have heard from a moderator on www.Shoryuken.com that moderating isn't as easy. This true?
Can't say I've had any problems.
I would say the inline mod tools on XenForo are better than anything else I've used.

I think Mr. Jaxel may have just sold me... I actually thought a lot of your stuff was customized by YOU much like your vB work previously.

Also, thanks Jaxel... much appreciated!
It is customized by me... but completely in the xenforo framework... and most of my mods I make available here. Moderating is a bit harder due to the lack of infractions... but I know on SRK they are using an infractions add-on.

Wow, thank you everyone for the feedback! :)

I had a few more questions... and these are to deal with how we currently operate on www.testyourmight.com via vB currently:

1. How does Xenforo help eliminate spam/spambots?
2. Posting articles on the front page, is it as easy, easier or neutral?
3. Member feedback: Are members of your respective site(s) happy with the switch?
4. Name 4 major pluses compared to vB

Wow, thank you everyone for the feedback! :)

I had a few more questions... and these are to deal with how we currently operate on www.testyourmight.com via vB currently:

1. How does Xenforo help eliminate spam/spambots?
2. Posting articles on the front page, is it as easy, easier or neutral?
3. Member feedback: Are members of your respective site(s) happy with the switch?
4. Name 4 major pluses compared to vB
STORMS... I helped SRK transfer to XenForo... in fact, SRK's transfer to XenForo is pretty much due to the work I've been doing with 8WR and I kept them in the loop because I knew how much MrWiz hated VB4 and the constant template issues. Some people in my chatroom had asked me to actually get in touch with you because they hate using VB4 on TYM.

Since then I've helped not only Shoryuken transfer to XenForo, but also FreeStepDodge.

Contact me on AIM and I'll actually help you directly with your transition.
(Keep in mind that both SRK and FSD paid me for my expertise)

STORMS... I helped SRK transfer to XenForo... in fact, SRK's transfer to XenForo is pretty much due to the work I've been doing with 8WR and I kept them in the loop because I knew how much MrWiz hated VB4 and the constant template issues. Some people in my chatroom had asked me to actually get in touch with you because they hate using VB4 on TYM.

Since then I've helped not only Shoryuken transfer to XenForo, but also FreeStepDodge.

Contact me on AIM and I'll actually help you directly with your transition.
(Keep in mind that both SRK and FSD paid me for my expertise)

Wow, thank you like x1,000,000... I will definitely do that. And yes, I will of course plan to pay you for your time and work that you do for us as I greatly appreciate that offer.

We actually have some pretty big pre-Xenforo plans to tackle first, BUT we are tackling these in the very near future and then we will be planning the switch. I believe you are already on my buddy list as well: Mine is "VLADsuperior"

Thanks again, Jaxel!

Top Bottom