Connection Reset on password reset or mass mail, after host updated to PHP 5.4, xfhost fine though.

rainmotorsports

I chased my tail the other day in installation support trying to find the source of my problem. But it seems to come purely down to hosting.

My host updated from 5.3 to 5.4.20 and after that doing password resets seems to cause some sort of connection reset or multiple requests. I tested this again on another one of their servers that was still on 5.3 was working fine until they upgraded that server to 5.4 and once again screwed it up. With a limit on password resets submitting a reset will show the message you have to wait X seconds and the email was sent successfully as if it had been submitted more than once. Clicking on the link would say that there was an error resetting the password but the email comes through just like it had been submitted twice, all other known problems with that half are not related. However disabling the timeout on resets was a little more telling. The password reset would show in firefox as a connection reset or in chrome as the server not returning anything.

I reluctantly jumped over to xfhost (which is running 5.4.17) which nice to see it working now and do not have this problem. Performance figures are ringing out the same as my current host but I am trying to convince them its their setup and not Xenforo and 5.4.

Has anyone run into anything similar, might know what the cause is? Seen many complaints on other software when upgrading to 5.4 of connection resets and disabling a particular module, etc was the fix for the individual case.

Did some more testing as I suspected the mass mailer (even only to 1 person) trips the same problem.

I went into mail.php and removed the contents of a function close to sending the mail, returned false so there would be no problems from this. The connection reset never happens. The mail of course also never sends.

My overall problem is I can't get to any logs that would help me identify the problem. We aren't planning on sticking with them but the problem needs to be fixed and or for us avoided in the future. So if anyone has a clue to known issues thats why I am here.

Last edited:
Hey there rainmotorsports - open up a support ticket and we'll be happy to see if we can help you determine what is going on.

Thanks,
Rob

Hey there rainmotorsports - open up a support ticket and we'll be happy to see if we can help you determine what is going on.

Thanks,
Rob

The problem isn't with you as title says (ran out of room) xfhost fine though. The thing with my current host is we have them even if we don't use them its there and I know many people on them so I try to get things fixed when I can.

Talked with my host today they gave instructions on enabling php error logging though htaccess and sure enough its not throwing any errors. Guess next stop would normally be the apache error log. Sadly with no direct access guess I am still waiting on them.

Top Bottom