Confused - What's New?

RobParker

I imagine this is just a case of the phrasing not being clear but if anyone can help/clarify it'd be great.

I click on What's New and it returns a list of threads.

This list is titled 'New Threads" which is clearly isn't as some of the threads are old ones.
The subtitle says "These are all threads from XenForo Community that have been recently updated" but again, that's not right as some threads are missing (ones I've read) and I believe it's just showing all threads with new posts that I haven't read?

There's also the option to click "All recent messages" which I think is showing all threads with new content, even if I've already viewed it.

I'm not sure how important any of this is but I can see some of my users being confused by it and having to explain as at the minute it's not described clearly/correctly.

What's New contains a list of all threads which contain unread (new) posts.

All Recent Messages contains a list of all threads from the last X days, which is set in the ACP.

Yep I think I figured that out but it's not what it says.

It's titled New Threads which is clearly not what it us. New Posts would make more sense.

The subtitle explaining that it's all recently updated threads is also wrong as it's actually all recently updated threads containing unread posts.

Which makes them updated thread. :)

Heh I disagree.

Updated/unread aren't (shouldn't be) linked together. Just because I've read something doesn't mean it should be excluded from a list of recently updated posts. A list of unread posts, fair enough.

Brogan: I'll edit the phrases anyway but thought I'd post this to see if anyone agreed and whether it made sense to change the phrasing here.

If no one else thinks it's an issue then cool :-)

It's not an issue I've seen raised before but of course anyone is entitled to raise a point about the software :)

What tends to happen though is you'll get many different opinions on what the phrases should be and hence reaching a consensus becomes impossible ;)

Top Bottom