Configuring SFS _not_ to ban reported but common usernames

Steve Freides

I've adopted a policy of ignoring, which is to say I approve, SFS-flagged new accounts if the only infraction is username, and if the username is common. I'm going this because it's work for me, and the wrong thing to do, if someone chooses "Bob" as their username and it's not already in use on our forum, to ban them just because some other person named Bob has been reported to SFS.

How to better deal with this?

Can I create a list in the ACP somewhere - please tell me where - to list common usernames, e.g., "Bob" that I don't want to allow?

Will my above-mentioned list be checked before SFS kicks in?

The outcome I'm hoping for is not to allow someone to choose Bob as a username in the first place rather than having them choose it, submit a post, have me reject the account because SFS said it had been reported as spam, and then the user contacts me and asks me what they did wrong?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-S-

The outcome I'm hoping for is not to allow someone to choose Bob as a username in the first place rather than having them choose it, submit a post, have me reject the account because SFS said it had been reported as spam
Why not just approve the account?

If an account is placed in the approval queue purely based on the name triggering, then I will approve it in most, if not all, cases.

If it is just IP address and it is a shared/network/proxy address, likewise.

We get new accounts in approval queues with only reported username as a flag and would rather not have to manually approve these new accounts. Wondering if there is a way to remove "username" from the filters? If so how?

Or is there a better way to look at this function?

Thanks!

Top Bottom