Community Hive

Community Hive 1.0.2

No permission to download
The key to forums is a non-algorithm.

The worst plague is that content which you can't control or reproduce or find again.
But for discovery it's very useful.

If CH recommends a post on a forum I'd never heard of and I like it, then I'm going to sign up and become a user.

What will make this much more useful is if a CH account can be used as a connected account in XF, so I can just click the "sign in with Community Hive" and it will work like the sign in with Facebook/Microsoft etc does.

The key to forums is a non-algorithm.

The worst plague is that content which you can't control or reproduce or find again.
Use generated content is generally crap which is why we add content every day from 2 to 7,000 words a day.

Xen runs fine on 7 and 8.
Yes, but IPS (who is backing this) mandates that anyone using their software use the latest PHP. It's unusually they are even gracing 8.1.x line with the ability to use it, much less 8.0.x.

Yep...definitely a BETA product.... really needs to wear a numbering of less than 1.x.x.

Screen Shot 2023-09-03 at 11.51.28 PM.png
And it's not like I'm on PHP 7.4

Code:
PHP 8.1.22 (cli) (built: Aug  3 2023 03:34:29) (NTS)
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.1.22, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v8.1.22, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

First, we need the numbers, the audience... then rest assured, you'll see advertisements among "your" content teasers.
Yes ok.
But why should I provide the content of my forum so that others can earn money with the content?

Of course, you can argue that the readers are also so attentive to us.
I lack the faith in it. I think that people rather read the one answer and then disappear again.
Such grabbers already existed from 20 years ago. They have all disappeared again.

Ok maybe the time was not yet ripe for it and I'm too old for it. :D

The don't need to, they are actually Invision Community, Xenforo's competitor running it.

If I want to install an add-on, I always want to know who is behind it. Is it one person, a team, a company?
Looking at the about page I don't see ANY information who is responsible for this. No person, no company, nothing.
That's a no-go for me.

I like the idea though.

So they provide a free service and all without ulterior motives.
Sorry but who works without payment or without that he has something else from it.
Is this an attempt to advertise their own software?
Check this thread: Bring Xenforo to the Fediverse

This comment has a summary: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/bring-xenforo-to-the-fediverse.215471/post-1643482

Essentially, if they can make a "Reddit for forums", then it works as advertising for their software. And it benefits everyone who owns a forum as well. And I'd argue that it would be a benefit for the internet and humanity as well, considering how bad/problematic Reddit is.

Looking at the about page I don't see ANY information who is responsible for this. No person, no company, nothing.
I agree. They put this up with very little info.

Yep...definitely a BETA product.... really needs to wear a numbering of less than 1.x.x.

View attachment 290695
And it's not like I'm on PHP 7.4

Code:
PHP 8.1.22 (cli) (built: Aug  3 2023 03:34:29) (NTS)
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.1.22, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v8.1.22, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies
Hi Tracy, thanks for trying out Community Hive.

If you get a moment, I'd appreciate it if you can let me know if you have any other information for this error to help us diagnose the issue. Feel free to add to the XenForo topic here, reply on this thread or PM me if you'd like to keep the information private.

Thanks!

Hi Tracy, thanks for trying out Community Hive.

If you get a moment, I'd appreciate it if you can let me know if you have any other information for this error to help us diagnose the issue. Feel free to add to the XenForo topic here, reply on this thread or PM me if you'd like to keep the information private.

Thanks!
No errors in the ACP server log... that's what the web page throws when trying to go to the community hive page in the ACP.
Didn't dig through the server (HTTP) logs as was doing other stuff at the time... mainly working on processing some captures.
When I have some spare time I'll re-install and start doing more trouble shooting.

Last edited:
No errors in the ACP server log... that's what the web page throws when trying to go to the community hive page in the ACP.
Didn't dig through the server (HTTP) logs as was doing other stuff at the time... mainly working on processing some captures.
When I have some spare time I'll re-install and start doing more trouble shooting.
Thanks for looking! Please let us know what you find on https://talk.communityhive.com or email hello@communityhive.com ... we would love to get to the bottom of that for you.

No real "ulterior motives" other than another revenue stream for them.
They aren't doing this out of the "goodness of their hearts". There will be paid tiers that push your sites higher in their feed.

View attachment 290743
Ah, now the truth comes out.

Vince Mcmahon Money GIF

Community Hive updated Community Hive with a new update entry:

More fixes and refinement

• Improved pre-activation checks by adding a check for URL format.
  • Improved the error messages shown when the activation or subscription fails.
  • Prefilled the subscription form for logged in members with their email address.
  • The widget will be added automatically to the sidebar when activated.
  • Fixed the wrong image showing inside results (The thread cover image was used instead of the first image inside the post).
Please let us know feedback or issues at...

Read the rest of this update entry...

This comment has a summary: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/bring-xenforo-to-the-fediverse.215471/post-1643482

Essentially, if they can make a "Reddit for forums", then it works as advertising for their software. And it benefits everyone who owns a forum as well. And I'd argue that it would be a benefit for the internet and humanity as well, considering how bad/problematic Reddit is

I'm really not sure who gets the greater benefit from it.
And again the question, how will google evaluate the duplicate content.
Will it be penalized? Or will it generate more traffic to the community hive and make us completely dependent?

Top Bottom