XF 1.5 Combining a week old backup db with a current db

rolfw

One of our mods permanently deleted pages of threads a couple of days ago and I believe the latest backup is a few days old. Is it possible to recall the backup and retain the latest posts?

No, it's not possible to merge two databases in that manner.

You would have to revert to a backup, which would result in a loss of any content created since the backup was taken.

A workaround, that I think it might work, would be to install a test forum, restore the backup there and then you can try to do a merge of you rmain forum with the test forum. I have not tried it this myself though, and it would be adviceable to make a copy of the main forum before you attempt the merge.

It was not meant to be ill advised. I thought that that might have been worth a shot under the circumstances. And as long as a copy of the main forum 's database is made before the merge, then things can be rolled back easy.

Thanks all, I guessed it might be difficult, if not impossible, but is always worth asking. The problem we have with multiple copies of the forum is space, so may not be an option. I'm waiting to find out when the last backup was taken.

Having said that, if we can determine which threads he's deleted, would take a while, but possible, we could edit all but the missing posts on the backup and then merge perhaps?

Having said that, if we can determine which threads he's deleted, would take a while, but possible, we could edit all but the missing posts on the backup and then merge perhaps?

If those threads are really important, then that is probably worth a try.

Find all the deleted threads and put them in a newly created forum and delete everything else. Then when you've done the import, you'd need to move the threads to the forums they were in.

Test it first of course.

You will want to restore from the latest backup. Also note the following two folders will also be required to restore from a backup:

data
internal_data

It's something I have done before, however there are a lot of side-issues that need to be dealt with, and not something I would recommend to try without a lot of testing beforehand.

Your best bet is to restore the backup to another location, then manually transfer content if its so vital.

Last edited:
Top Bottom