Implemented Color indication for votes on the thread list

sbj

This is a vote on a post:

1593014580809.webp

When I upvote, it indicates with the different color that I voted:

1593014612915.webp

On thread list however, the color indication is not there, but a thumbs up is placed. I believe turning the color into yellow would be also the expected behaviour and a much better experience to see quickly where we voted.

1593014741162.webp

It should be like this:

1593014874409.webp

Upvote 16
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
There already is color on the thumb up icon, however it is different from the color used for the counter and up arrow.

I'd prefer smth. like this
vote-color.webp

There already is color on the thumb up icon, however it is different from the color used for the counter and up arrow.

I'd prefer smth. like this
View attachment 229088
I think I disagree. Why?

I believe the color for the thumb icon should be green for upvotes and red for downvotes. This way one can see immediately how I voted something. So the color indicates if positive or negative.

And on the left side the voting number should be orange to indicate that I made a vote (just like inside the thread).

So we have 2 informations pretty quickly. I can scroll the thread list and see quickly in which threads I voted (by seeing it orange), and if I want to know in what direction I voted, I can look at the thumbs up/down icon and its red/green coloring makes it easier to spot it.

Obviously downvoting is disabled here in this node so we wouldn't see the thumbs down, but in general it would be useful.

I don't know if the thumb color is red, green or yellow, I just copied the value from within a post.

To me a solid icon in a high contrast color is way easier to scan than looking at the numbers on the left, but YMMV.
Right know, I hardly can see a difference in color (wether I voted or not) for the numbers.

Last edited:
I don't know if the thumb color color is red, green or yellow, I just copied the value from within a post.
I don't understand. The default color right now for the upvote is green. 1593121111086.webp In your example you made it to orange: 1593121139602.webp

To me a solid icon in a high contrast color is way easier to scan than looking at the numbers on the left, but YMMV.
Ahh, I see. You want to change the icon style to solid. I thought you want to make it orange like in your example.

Well, I am not against a solid icon style. I misunderstood you, because my suggestion is about the coloring as the title is "color indication for votes". So I thought you are talking about that. Well, you can open a new suggestion to change the icon type, mine is about the color, and not about the thumbs up but about the voting number color.

1593121360884.webp

The point that I tried to make is that your argument that changing the color of the numbers would make it easier to determine vote status doesn't necessarily work; all those numbers (at least in that size) look more or less gray to me without much difference between voted and unvoted. :)

The point that I tried to make is that your argument that changing the color of the numbers would make it easier to determine vote status doesn't necessarily work; to me all numbers (at least in that size) look more or less gray to me without much difference between voted and unvoted. :)
Not everyone has such bad eyes ;). But I understand you. The reason for that is that the background is white and the chosen green and orange/yellow are also a lightish one. There is no big contrast. They need to change the colors to a darker green and orange for you also to spot them easily.

But overall orange, green and red are traffic light coloring. So it has the best basis to differentiate one from each other. You can make a different suggestion about making the colors a bit darker to have better contrast. My suggestion is also not about that.

My personal thoughts on this is that if you haven't voted the number should remain neutral, regardless of # of positive or negative votes. It should only change color to if you have voted green (positive) or red (negative). You wouldn't even need the thumb icon at that point as you would only see a "color" vote number if you had voted.

IMO, the whole turning yellow if you voted doesn't make sense to me, especially when it comes to removing a vote. Removing your positive vote and having the number go down yet turning green is counter intuitive. If you have effectively removed your vote, it should go back to a neutral color

My personal thoughts on this is that if you haven't voted the number should remain neutral, regardless of # of positive or negative votes. It should only change color to if you have voted green (positive) or red (negative). You wouldn't even need the thumb icon at that point as you would only see a "color" vote number if you had voted.

IMO, the whole turning yellow if you voted doesn't make sense to me, especially when it comes to removing a vote. Removing your positive vote and having the number go down yet turning green is counter intuitive. If you have effectively removed your vote, it should go back to a neutral color
This. I find myself clicking the yellow again when I shouldn’t. Green is good.

Looks like it stays grey if we have not voted and turns orange when we have (in both locations). BRAVO! I was still thinking I voted when it was green lol, this really helps.

Top Bottom