1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coding horror about forums: UI is wasted in non-content

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rigel Kentaurus, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

Full article here: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/10/the-gamification.html
    ( I recommend people to read it )

Marcus, Darkimmortal, yavuz and 3 others like this.
  2. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

That's why I hate large signature and/or repetitive signature in the same thread.
    nice article(y)
    gordy likes this.
  3. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

That's why whenever I see something that clutters the post content that really doesn't need to be there I'll voice my concerns. I myself, honestly like a clean layout without intrusive signatures, messageuserblock cluttering and post area clutter it really gets on my nerves.

I can honestly say that I now avoid visiting other forums primarily for this reason alone. imo there just isn't any need for it. Scrolling marquees is another pet hate I see alot.
    Lisa, DaveL, Luke B and 1 other person like this.
  4. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I think it really depends on your genre as well, for my gaming community I personal encourage signature images to spice things up. But the article is a good read and makes some valid points.
  6. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

In the example above the bottom "content" is in fact pretty useless without having the reference of who posted it and when tbh. It is just parts of a conversation, just like reading a book without the "Jill said" "Mike said" etc..

I think the author is being a little too literal in their interpretation myself. But I also hate a cluttered post area, and that is the first thing that I fell in love with about Xen :love: