Cloudflare

HuskerGarrett

This is probably a very stupid question, but I’ve been searching and reading and can’t really figure it out. What exactly is cloudflare? Can someone explain it to me? Is it worth it?

You change your DNS. Normally your DNS points to your webserver directly but when you use a CDN you point your DNS to the CDN.

That way all the traffic to your websites goes to the CDN and handles all the traffic.

I use them for my DNS services for my domains, and as a CDN and DDOS protection service.
They also have the ability to set up rules to block certain known bad actors from even hitting your site, block tor access (or use challenges to prevent minimize bots coming in via TOR nodes).
I use DigitalPoints CF add-on... and it's very helpful for tuning it for your site.

It also gives you some performance info in the main ACP page
Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 12.54.18 AM.png

I use them for my DNS services for my domains, and as a CDN and DDOS protection service.
They also have the ability to set up rules to block certain known bad actors from even hitting your site, block tor access (or use challenges to prevent minimize bots coming in via TOR nodes).
I use DigitalPoints CF add-on... and it's very helpful for tuning it for your site.

It also gives you some performance info in the main ACP page
View attachment 288180
Thank you! I’ll probably try to get this all set up tomorrow. Is the $20/month option typically fine for a forum with this traffic
IMG_5502.webp

Also, Cloudflare Turnstile is the best replacement for a CAPTCHA out there right now. You don't need your site running on Cloudflare to use either. (you did till about 2 weeks ago) https://www.cloudflare.com/products/turnstile/ and the option to use Cloudflare turnstile is in your admin control panel. Setup-> Options-> Basic Options.

I do really hate to frequently visit sites which do use Turnstile. It is annoying to have it as user.

I do really hate to frequently visit sites which do use Turnstile. It is annoying to have it as user.
What is annoying about it? Because normally you don't have to do anything (not even click a checkbox). You can see it in-use here:

There's even a mode where it's completely hidden (you don't even see the box).

What is annoying about it? Because normally you don't have to do anything (not even click a checkbox).
Some of the sites implements it before rendering page itself to fight bots, often when i have to fast check info from my bookmarked link - it is annoying to have to wait for turnstile while that page could have already loaded, often my mobile device even asks to fill checkbox.
You might call me grumpy but it is for me.

Some of the sites implements it before rendering page itself to fight bots, often when i have to fast check info from my bookmarked link - it is annoying to have to wait for turnstile while that page could have already loaded, often my mobile device even asks to fill checkbox.
You might call me grumpy but it is for me.
That's not (exactly) Turnstile. That's the site forcibly injecting a managed challenge page to their normal content, and the challenge page happens to use Turnstile. So that's on the site owner, not Turnstile that's causing the delay.

Personally, I think it's rather pointless (and like you... somewhat annoying) when they do it, but it's a firewall thing (not a Turnstile thing). It's the site owner doing it via firewall setting, not Turnstile.

1698102659994.png

Turnstile is the link I gave before (the contact form here). Managed challenges just happen to use Turnstile to verify if someone is a human, but it's not Turnstile itself that is injecting the page before the real page you want to see.

Reactions: Jja
Thank You for pointing this out, i never had need to configure "managed challange" myself, so i didnt knew exactly how it was done.

Top Bottom