Cloudflare vs. Google Page Speed Service (PSS)

KatieH

Have any tried Google PSS beta? It is currently free and per invite until they get out of beta and they will have paid plans. https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/service

I have tried Google PSS (page speed service) and i have to say they will make your site super fast more than Cloudflare but they aggressively cache your site on their servers that some styles like my editor background color and fonts were not the correct ones.

Cloudflare has nice and simple features in term of optimization. But slow and because they are constantly under attack, sites on the free plan are suffering daily. Google PSS will make your site super fast and has much more optimization features but sometimes they will break some of your site styles. I also faced an issue on my forum, i was not able to login, it would say you have inserted the uncorrect password. Once I disabled PSS rewrites the issue was solved.

Have others had better experience with Google PSS and what do you think of Cloudflare?

Tried both. Google PSS by a far and wide margin. I would continue to use it, but the pings to my site greatly increased. If you are in the Asia/Pacific i wouldnt recommend it for that factor alone. Google rep acknowledged that places like Australia for example (in my case) lose out if they use Google PSS.

Cloudflare been there done that. Never ever again. Adsense revenue greatly decreased when using them, along with the fact that the site would go offline for no apparent reasons.

I see nothing but failure from CloudFlare. Websites down all the time. I mean, whats the point of CloudFlare if your website is down for weeks on end?

We don't have any system issues that would lead to sites being down for weeks on end. Not at all. Did you open a support ticket? The number one reason that a site shows offline, if the server for the site is not offline, is something blocking requests from our IPs on the server/host side. We can provide logs for this so you can check with the hosting provider.

"Cloudflare has nice and simple features in term of optimization. But slow and because they are constantly under attack, sites on the free plan are suffering daily. Google PSS will make your site super fast and has much more optimization features but sometimes they will break some of your site styles. I also faced an issue on my forum, i was not able to login, it would say you have inserted the uncorrect password. Once I disabled PSS rewrites the issue was solved.

Have others had better experience with Google PSS and what do you think of Cloudflare?[/quote]

You're not going to have issues with your sites being on a free plan or not. Our network is also quite capable of handling attacks...

If you have an issue with your site, including performance issues, it is really best to open a support ticket so we can take a look in our logs to see what's going on.

"Cloudflare been there done that. Never ever again. Adsense revenue greatly decreased when using them, along with the fact that the site would go offline for no apparent reasons.[/quote]

We should not impact your AdSense at all (Rocket Loader is the only feature that might impact, but can be turned off very easily).

If your site was offline, then it was (a) your server was actually having issues, or (b) something was blocking requests from our IPs. This is why opening a support ticket is important.

Here's the easiest way to test if our IPs are being blocked on your server or host:
1. Pause CloudFlare in your settings when the error occurs.
2. If the site immediately becomes responsive, then something was blocking requests from our ips (server rules, security plugins, etc.).

"Cloudflare has nice and simple features in term of optimization. But slow and because they are constantly under attack, sites on the free plan are suffering daily. Google PSS will make your site super fast and has much more optimization features but sometimes they will break some of your site styles. I also faced an issue on my forum, i was not able to login, it would say you have inserted the uncorrect password. Once I disabled PSS rewrites the issue was solved.

Have others had better experience with Google PSS and what do you think of Cloudflare?

You're not going to have issues with your sites being on a free plan or not. Our network is also quite capable of handling attacks...

If you have an issue with your site, including performance issues, it is really best to open a support ticket so we can take a look in our logs to see what's going on.

Hi, this is what happened when i tried to add a new domain and set it up a while ago, tried it twice after CF scan it, it gave me this offline page on Cloudflare page. That is just one example, see attachment. Many times Cloudfalre website itself will show the cache version and not the live version.

There is an open support ticket which is pending, from time to time my site either lags a lot or gives me several errors, like 503 error or 522 errors. Sometimes i wasn't able to access the site but other people from different location can. Many times on daily basis my site would give me the offline version, and when i ticket our server admin, he said it is the network, the server is online. All i have to do is wait till the site comes back online after 10 min or so.

Also when cloudflare is attacked https://www.cloudflare.com/system-status.html and i see either some of the countries re-routed or performance degrading, many of my members wouldn't be able to access the site. That is why if Cloudflare goes down so often, it affects many sites like that traffic and even SEO wise since search bots won't be able to crawl the site and errors appear on google webmaster like time out or couldn't reach or access the page.

Our server admin's conclusion to that pending ticket with Cloudflare is it could be a routing issue on Cloudflare side.

Attachments

• Capture.webp
    Capture.webp
    31.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
"Hi, this is what happened when i tried to add a new domain and set it up a while ago, tried it twice after CF scan it, it gave me this offline page on Cloudflare page. That is just one example, see attachment. Many times Cloudfalre website itself will show the cache version and not the live version."

This is actually very unusual. The output of cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/trace would be a huge help in the ticket.

"Also when cloudflare is attacked https://www.cloudflare.com/system-status.html and i see either some of the countries re-routed or performance degrading, many of my members wouldn't be able to access the site. That is why if Cloudflare goes down so often, it affects many sites like that traffic and even SEO wise since search bots won't be able to crawl the site and errors appear on google webmaster like time out or couldn't reach or access the page."

An issue with our site is not going to impact the sites of customers. It is only affecting our site.

I've done both too... PageSpeed wins by a margin - but in Australia PageSpeed gives great YSlow scores but actually slow the load time on the sites by around double - from 3 to 6 seconds... I ended up going with Amazon's Cloudfront CDN - cheap and there are now Australia edge servers that keep things nice and quick. Load times now just under 2 seconds.

Top Bottom