Clocks Go Backward One Hour Sunday, November 1

Amaury

If you're in the UK or any other part of the northern hemisphere, you can ignore this as this already occurred for you.

Remember to adjust all manual clocks one hour backward on Sunday.

Last edited:
And all this time I thought daylight savings was just some dumb American thing. 44 years and still learning new stuff daily.

There are more countries in the northern hemisphere that put there clocks back on the last Sunday of October than the first Sunday of November. There are also the southern hemisphere countries who have put their clocks forward in the last month or so.Then of course there are many countries who don't use DST at all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_by_country

Personally I'd like to see an end of threads like this which are only relevant to a subsection of the community. I'm sure there's enough reminders in our respective countries to change the clocks already. :)

Come on... Most clocks do this automatically nowadays ;)

Anyhow, I wonder what percentage of members here are based in the US?

Liam

There are more countries in the northern hemisphere that put there clocks back on the last Sunday of October than the first Sunday of November. There are also the southern hemisphere countries who have put their clocks forward in the last month or so.Then of course there are many countries who don't use DST at all.

I've adjusted the OP.

We have a few places here that don't observe it, either, such as Arizona.

It's funny, though. Like I was telling @Lisa, we're inconsistent ourselves. Our observance has been the same since 2007: forward one hour on the second Sunday of March, but backward one hour on the first Sunday of November--it was changed to this, I believe, to give farmers more time from crops and the like. So we go into it first (two weeks earlier), but come out of it last (one week later).

If you look through the Show DST from at the bottom here, though, we've changed quite a few times, and there was even one year where it was really weird (February). I don't think you guys have ever changed you observance, though, have you?

Mine went forward one hour, a few weeks back!

Yup. You're in awesome Australia, which is the opposite of people from the UK and US.

Since our seasons are:
  • Spring: March 21 - June 20
  • Summer: June 21 - September 20
  • Fall: September 21 - December 20
  • Winter: December 21 - March 20

IIRC, for you it's:
  • Spring: September - November
  • Summer: December - February
  • Autumn: March - May
  • Winter: June - August

You don't even use dates, you go by the months from what I've read.

IIRC, for you it's:
  • Spring: September - November
  • Summer: December - February
  • Autumn: March - May
  • Winter: June - August

Eh?? Most people dont know when its spring or autumn here. The "seasons" are:
Hot
Warm
Wear a jumper(sweatshirt)/take a brolly(umbrella).

Unless you are from Melbourne where its known to have "4 seasons in a day".

In Canada, those provinces that do utilize DST, it will fall back one hour Nov. 1st. It was changed this year, don't know why, and don't care enough to search for the answer because regardless of the "why", the clocks are a-chang'n anyways, :)

Today's a good day to get things done. I've been up since 5:00 AM (since my body's gotten used to waking up at that "time"), but didn't get online until about 15 minutes ago because I used that time to clean my computer and desk. :)

I wish they would just pick a time already and stop the DST. Its from the WW2 days on saving energy and supplies to send over seas.

no, In stead of getting dark at around 6-8pm it gets dark around 4-6pm. Wild I know but it was so people would go to bed earlier and use less gas and metal resources back in the hay day or something along that line.

I hate it because its dark when I get up and dark when I get home from work. Its just dark all the time.

I don't mind the dark mornings when we're in DST and the dark evenings when we're out of DST. Former means more afternoon fun and the latter means an extra hour of sleep.

Top Bottom