Chrome & Safari care about privacy! FF & IE suck!

I'm not surprised that it's there...actually most of the time, you admit where you've been thru the use of cookies anyway. And as someone in the comments section of the article mentioned, there has been a plugin for FF for ages to stop this.

As to the information coming from Interclick...I trust them about as far as I could throw them. They are a data mining company.

Stealing someone's whole browsing history is invasion of privacy and way beyond just cookie storing or whatever.

This should come by default. It was a very shortsighted approach by FF Mozilla, IMHO.
I've always assumed that my browsing history wasn't private anyway. But if you want to place blame, start at the root...the data mining companies because without them, no one would care unless you are in a work environment.

The author of the article doesn't seem to understand the technical details of the problem and is making a fuss about "history sniffing" which really looks like some FUD to me. The exploit doesn't allow to sniff or read your browser history, it merely allows a site to check whether you have visited one or more specific links before. Yes, that's still a privacy issue and shouldn't be possible but it doesn't mean a site can scan your entire browsing history.

It's really old news now and the issue is fixed in Firefox for quite a while.

Really, there are much worse things you should be concerned about unless you fully disable Flash, JavaScript and cookies and always use private browsing sessions.

Stealing someone's whole browsing history is invasion of privacy and way beyond just cookie storing or whatever.
This is exactly what is NOT possible by using this method.

If you are interested in the tech details: Here is how and why it works

Haha @ chromo cares about privacy. Google is most likely *the* biggest information mining company in the world.

Top Bottom