Choosing vegetable oil

MilesDB

Seeing how popular is Kim's culinary thread here, I wanted to share with you the chart of veggie oils that indicates their "goodness". I've also scanned "Oil and Fats" brochure published by American College of Physicians Foundation for free distribution. It's attached as pdf file. The chart is from that brochure.

"The colors in this chart show the percentages of fatty acids that make up common edible oils and solid fats. Red represents "bad" saturated fat and the other colors represent "good" unsaturated fat. There are two types of unsaturated fat: mono- and polyunsaturated"

• Omega-3 fat (Alpha-linolenic acid) may protect against heart attacks and stroke.
  • Omega-6 fat (Linoleic acid) is important for the brain.
  • Omega-9 fat (Oleic acid) is an important part of heart disease and cancer prevention.
Omega-3 and Omega-6 which are essential fatty acids (EFAs) must be ingested because the body requires them for good health but cannot synthesize them. [from wiki]

I hope this thread will help you to choose right veggie oils for consumption and maintaining good health. :)

veggie oil chart.webp

Attachments

Maybe you should expand your thread to include more health foods, as singling out just oil is just going to place this thread in the grave. I would ask to rename your thread title, then maybe you might get a bit more attention...... or not. :unsure:

Maybe you should expand your thread to include more health foods, as singling out just oil is just going to place this thread in the grave. I would ask to rename your thread title, then maybe you might get a bit more attention...... or not. :unsure:
That's actually a good idea. Maybe rename it to "Healthy Foods" or "Healthy Ingredients"?

Top Bottom