Child nodes in Social Group (Waindigo) forums?

Bloodcinder

I sent this question directly to @Waindigo because I wasn't sure where to post, since I haven't purchased Xenforo and don't have access to all the forums. Jon was kind enough to point me to the correct location to ask this question, so here is the question I asked and Jon's response, minus some omitted stuff.

My question is whether the social forums inside a social category can have their own child nodes. For example, suppose that my social category has a social forum created within it. Can the manager of that social forum then create a page, a sub-forum, or a library [Libraries by Waindigo] inside of that social forum as children, thereby creating a nested tree?

I ask because the documentation for Social Groups says that the social forums within a social category node are not stored as nodes, but I'm not sure if that means they can't themselves contain child nodes. My guess is they can't, but I wanted to confirm.

The answer is no, although it would be possible to develop a way of doing this if you are interested.

My reply back to Jon...

I am interested, but I personally don't have any experience with Xenforo and wouldn't be able to do the coding myself, although I've done my share of phpBB and WordPress hacking. I am interested to know if the social forums could very easily be modified to have child nodes, or if it would be a rather difficult change to make. For example, is it as easy as giving the user an option that is not currently available, or would it require completely re-engineering how the social forums are stored?

I guess it hinges on whether the social forums, which are not stored as nodes, inherit their functionality from nodes or are just a facsimile.

I imagine what he was referring to is extending the current add-on you were inquiring about. Usually (from what I understand) he will undertake those type of extensions to the add-ons for a proscribed fee. Your best bet would be to continue your convo with him on extending it and getting a price. The problem is (especially for you) is that this would be better discussed in the add-on area, but not being a license holder you don't have access to said area.

The only person who can help you with that is the developer of the add-on.
Yeah, the part I omitted was where he told me to post here and tag him. I think he will probably respond at his convenience here instead of in a private message. Another reason I posted here in public is for the benefit of anybody else who might google a similar question at a later date and have better luck finding the answer.

I imagine what he was referring to is extending the current add-on you were inquiring about. Usually (from what I understand) he will undertake those type of extensions to the add-ons for a proscribed fee. Your best bet would be to continue your convo with him on extending it and getting a price. The problem is (especially for you) is that this would be better discussed in the add-on area, but not being a license holder you don't have access to said area.
Yes, and while I'm almost definitely going to be purchasing Xenforo soon, in order to make my decision for sure I will want to know if this solution (allowing child nodes for social groups) is remotely possible. I do apologize for violating the norms, but I believe it is wise for me to find the answer before I purchase.

We'll see what Waindigo has to say. I'm also not averse to paying for the development, depending on the price range.

Thanks for your understanding. I'm in no hurry.

Meanwhile, for what it's worth, just from posting here on the Xenforo support forums I'm already very impressed with some of the features I've stumbled upon and/or didn't know I ever needed until I just experienced them. The notifications, the multi-quote, the fact that the quick reply box saved what I had typed even when I navigated away and came back minutes later. Everything seems very top notch.

I've been using an outdated and heavily modded installation of phpBB3 for years now. I'm ready for something with bells and whistles.

I've already purchased Xenforo, so I'll go ahead and direct my concerns to Waindigo's add-on threads.

This topic is no longer necessary, if a moderator wishes to close it. Thanks!

Top Bottom