1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the Board URL

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by sophie1204, Feb 26, 2012.

1. sophie1204

sophie1204 Active Member

I'm replacing a longstanding vBulletin forum with a new XenForo forum, and I'm almost ready to go. This weekend I've imported all of the old vB data, set privileges, established styles, etc. -- all while my old vBulletin forum is closed.

My vBulletin forum lives in a directory called /forums/, and my XenForo forum lives in a directory called /community/. For the sake of everyone's existing links and bookmarks and so on, I want to rename the old vBulletin directory /oldforums/ (and eventually get rid of it), and rename the XenForo directory /forums/.

I see that in "Basic Board Information" I can change the board url.

Can I anticipate any problems doing this? Is there an order in which I should take the two steps involved -- that is (1) changing the url and (2) renaming the directory?

Thanks very much.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. sophie1204

sophie1204 Active Member

Thanks. Inasmuch as I'm using a shared server, I won't be able to restart. Any thoughts? And how about if I just rename the existing directory where XenForo is already installed, instead of moving the files to a newly named directory?
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Restarting is rarely required; I'm only aware of it being done a few times at most.

Yes, you can rename instead of moving, the end result is the same.
  5. sophie1204

sophie1204 Active Member

Phew. Thanks.