XF 2.2 Changing domain name

jul

Hello everyone,

Just to be clear before I change my license domain:

Is it possible to just change my primary domain within WHM?

Let's say I am changing domainA to domainB.

Reading the FAQ it seems like I have to remove domainA - change my domain license - then installing domainB.
However, when using WHM for changing the primary domainA to domainB it is instant.

4. Can I change the domain or URL where the software is installed?
Yes, as long as you remove the original installation before installing it elsewhere. Ensure you update the details for the license in your customer account.

Am I missing another way to change domainA to domainB without losing any databases/subdomains/emails/etc...?

I think that FAQ is in regard to the licence, what it means is you should not have two live forums at once with one licence but different domains.

If you change the domain instantly then that should fulfill the licence requirements of “only one domain,” but you should update the licence details as soon as you have done it. Also change the URL in ACP > Setup Options Basic Options

Last edited:
Reactions: jul
Maybe your question is more pointing on the technical circumstances to be fulfilled in your XF instance instead of license compliance?

Also change the URL in ACP > Setup Options Basic Options
That is the only thing technically to be done within XF. You can also consider the duplicate a live site to a test site-manual because in the end, changing the live domain is nearly the same as duplicating a test site, you just don't need to take care about several collision issues. ;)

So:
  • You do not need to re-download any update package after changing the domain here in your costumer account.
  • You do not need to overwrite some magic license file hidden somewhere.
I did have a similar issue because our project bought XF initially by naming the test subdomain here in the customer account. After go-live on the "www"-subdomain, the ACP license check gave a warning first. Changing that entry here in the customer account was all to be done to overcome the situation, the warning disappeared and everything works perfectly based on the long before downloaded installer package.

BTW: Be aware to also check license topics concerning any 3rd party addons. Maybe there are some more keys / things to be changed. ;)

Reactions: jul
Maybe your question is more pointing on the technical circumstances to be fulfilled in your XF instance instead of license compliance?

That is the only thing technically to be done within XF. You can also consider the duplicate a live site to a test site-manual because in the end, changing the live domain is nearly the same as duplicating a test site, you just don't need to take care about several collision issues. ;)

So:
  • You do not need to re-download any update package after changing the domain here in your costumer account.
  • You do not need to overwrite some magic license file hidden somewhere.
I did have a similar issue because our project bought XF initially by naming the test subdomain here in the customer account. After go-live on the "www"-subdomain, the ACP license check gave a warning first. Changing that entry here in the customer account was all to be done to overcome the situation, the warning disappeared and everything works perfectly based on the long before downloaded installer package.

BTW: Be aware to also check license topics concerning any 3rd party addons. Maybe there are some more keys / things to be changed. ;)

Thanks for your reply! I'll have a look at the link provided.

Top Bottom