Changing domain name without affecting search urls, etc?

Lucas

Hi,

I've recently started a forum where it has two domains working on it. One is Battlefield3Talk.com and the other BF3Talk.com. Currently the forum runs as Battlefield3talk.com and BF3Talk.com redirects to the long URL.

I was wondering if anyone knows a way of completely changing this to work instead primarily with BF3Talk.com and have all the old long URLs redirect to BF3Talk.com without affecting the current search engines indexes of my website, etc.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

1) Copy the forum over to the new site. If the two sites are hosted on the same server then you can probably just move the files and use the same database.

2) Update the board URL:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Basic Board Information -> Board URL

3) Setup a redirect on battlefield3talk.com. You can use a .htaccess file with this code:

Code:
Redirect 301 / http://www.bf3talk.com/

The 301 redirect will preserve your search engine stuff.

Hi Jake,

Thanks for your interest in helping. I have one question though, can I move it instead of copying it? Or must the old site still keep all the files of XenForo and what not?

By copy he means copy then delete from the old location.

Once the forum has been moved to the new location and the redirect is in place, the files can be deleted.

By copy he means copy then delete from the old location.

Once the forum has been moved to the new location and the redirect is in place, the files can be deleted.
Whoops, he even stated it after copying it. I don't know why I missed it. Thanks though!

Top Bottom