XF 1.2 Changed my Hostgator password and now my site has crashed

MKSwni

Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks for running a wonderful support forum. The search feature really does help but I'm still experiencing problems that I hope to get insight on.

I recently changed my database password through my control panel and immediately afterwards my website crashed.

After doing a bit of research on here (thankfully), I found that I also needed to change the password in my library/config.php file.

Instead of changing my password in that file, I went back to the control panel and inputted my old password. That way the password in the config.php file and the password in the control panel are the same again (So in effect, password A was changed to password B, but then back to password A in the control panel. That way the password there and in config.php aren't different now).

But it's been about 30 minutes and my website is still not up.

Is there anything I can do? I read on a previous post here that there can be a time delay but that user had reported only about 10 minutes. I'm hitting 40 minutes now.

Looking at the page source, this is the error:
Code:
<!-- Access denied for user 'gyopo'@'localhost' (using password: YES) -->
Double check that the database username and password in config.php is correct. If everything seems correct to you, change the password again, and update the config.php file.

Looking at the page source, this is the error:
Code:
<!-- Access denied for user 'gyopo'@'localhost' (using password: YES) -->
Double check that the database username and password in config.php is correct. If everything seems correct to you, change the password again, and update the config.php file.

I've triple checked and literally the username and password both in the control panel and in config.php are the same

I don't know if this means anything to you, but I have two config.php files.

2hhm0qp.png

Could one be an extra that is messing with things? I checked both files and they have the same exact info.

One is a .default extension. It doesn't matter. Can you change your database password for the user you use individually? If you can (you should be able to), do it and update your config.php accordingly.

One is a .default extension. It doesn't matter. Can you change your database password for the user you use individually? If you can (you should be able to), do it and update your config.php accordingly.

I changed the password to something completely new in my control panel then accessed both config.php files (as I showed you above) and replicated the password there too.

Since I just changed the passwords, will there be a wait time for the database to set itself with the new password? Or does this typically happen instantaneously? This is getting really frustrating.

Thanks.

j0iq0y.png

When I change my password in cP, this is what comes up after.
Are there any other files relating to the services listed above I should access and dig into?

I'm not sure if this means anything to anyone.

No. If your database password is changed, all you need to do is update the config file. If you restore to your old password, does your site come back?

No. If your database password is changed, all you need to do is update the config file. If you restore to your old password, does your site come back?

Not at all. We (my partner for this forum and I) tried that, we tried changing it to a temporarily easy password, then back to our initial password. Nothing is working. I'm sorry that this is causing a lot of trouble.

Is there a way you could look into this further? We tried calling hostgator's customer service but we don't think they were serious about their 24/7 support.

Edit: Could changing the localhost to any other name help?

Last edited:
If local host worked before, it should work now, considering the error, it sounds as if cPanel failed the update. Your host is the ones best suited to help.

If local host worked before, it should work now, considering the error, it sounds as if cPanel failed the update. Your host is the ones best suited to help.

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Will update this thread as I figure this out for others who might have this problem in the future.

I've figured it out.

I backed up config.php and put a copy on my computer, deleted config.php from my server, then re-uploaded the backed up file on my server. The site started working again.

Also for future reference, I suggest changing any information in config.php first then changing it in the control panel.

Thanks a lot for everything!

Top Bottom