Change seconds before posting again

Shelley Hitz

I like to reply to forum threads quickly and xenforo often limits me from posting again so soon. How do I change this so I don't have to keep waiting to post again?

You can set the Bypass flood check user group permission for your user group.

I'd recommend that you limit the members who have this user permission and don't give it to the Registered group which everyone should have as their primary user group. It's good protection against any spammers who manage to register and post as it limits how many posts they can make over time. Some admins who give this permission to everyone can find spammers making thousands of posts in a very short time.

You can also go to Options > Messages and adjust the time via 'Minimum Time Between Messages (seconds)' if you do not want to give everyone the bypass permission as Martok mentioned.
I'd recommend that this is left at the default of 30 seconds and give the bypass flood check permission to a small number of trusted members or just to staff. Setting it too low leads to spammers posting more before getting caught.

I'm just pointing out the danger of lowering that limit.

If a spammer manages to register and starts posting on a site. Let's assume they take 5 seconds to make a post (assuming they copy and paste something pre-prepared).

For a 30 second flood time, they can make 1 post every 35 seconds which is 102 posts in an hour.
For a 10 second flood time, they can make 1 post every 15 seconds which is 240 posts in an hour.

Definitely worth maintaining the higher flood time.

Top Bottom