1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDN set up question

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Bombardier, Dec 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Ok so I am setting up a CDN with my webhost and one of the things they tell me I need to do is

Where do I make this change to files within my XF root

2. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

3. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

4. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

So just the config file as described

or just the 'Path to Images'

5. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Both.
    But make sure your DNS for cdn.militaryimages.net is working first, otherwise your site wont work. Currently it doesn't resolve.

Bombardier likes this.
  6. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Thank you
    Yes it hasn't been set up yet I am asking these questions in advance of that.
    So my zone url will be cdn.militaryimages.net? I do also have a sub domain set up as instructed by my web host

7. vanucci

vanucci Active Member

woi911, Bombardier and Mouth like this.
  8. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

That sounds easy enough for a novice like me thank you all very much

Mouth likes this.
  9. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Should this work straight away, after setting all that up exactly as described all my images on site disappeared, I waited about 5 mins before reverting

should I add that last line of code (relating to cache) or does that relate to something completely different

Do I need to change the domain mapping of my sub domain to point towards my XF root?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  10. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Bombardier likes this.
  11. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Make sure your CDN is working correctly before making any changes in XF!
    Eg. If you have mydomain.com/js/custom.js then cdn.mydomain.com/js/custom.js should work too.

Bombardier likes this.
  12. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Ok I believe my cdn.militaryimages.net is working as it is parsing my site fine.
    However when I insert the code to my config all my images disappear
    If I revert the config but leave the cdn address in the styles - general settings images are back but I think it lacks the (for want of the accurate termnology) the overlay that dulls down the colours...hope that makes sense.

any ideas

13. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Now I realise how stupid I am I was putting www in my cdn url, now without it it works fine
    thanks guys although I expect to find problems further down the line

Mouth likes this.
  14. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

I have seen some speed improvement but not as much as I thought I would so I contacted my host again!
    This is what they said
    Any ideas how to correct this or will I just have to live with?

15. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

You might tell your cdn to not forward query strings for images. Then it always returns tree.png for requests like tree.png?12 or tree.png?9abc

The query string exists most likely for a reason, though.

16. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

How would we achieve that?

17. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

You have to setup your cdn to not forward query strings for .png files (in my example).