Lack of interest Category and forum titles not indexed for search. They should be.

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Disagree. Content titles yes, category titles no. Not indexed as part of the search result. Too may false positives when looking for content. Just search that category directly.

I don't understand the suggestion. So if you have a forum category called Cars, and search Cars, it shows every thread?

The list of forum titles is available on the forum index - why do you need to search for it?

Bear in mind that forum titles are not included in thread URLs so not really seeing the use case.

@beerForo: Did you read the original thread linked above?

On one of the XF V2.0.12 forums where I admin, a member recently complained that he couldn't find the "jobs board". I was able to confirm that this was true.

We have a category called Marketplace which includes the word "jobs" as well as a forum in that category which has the word "jobs". The search index was built (and just now rebuilt) to include everything. But I can confirm that a search or advanced search using the Everything tab for "jobs" does not display either of these.

On a properly SEO'd forum, category and forum titles and descriptions are optimized so that external engines can locate them sor searchers. They should be found by the internal search as well. This is especially important for forums with a large number of forums or categories.

No thanks, what a mess of search results that would be. Your users need to browse and sort, or search by keyword within categories (which would definitely not include the category name as a keyword).

I'm not sure of your exact use case but you might want to utilize Prefixes here. So you have a Marketplace with Jobs, For Sale, Wanted let's say. Those could be three individual Prefixes, sortable. And you can search by adding Prefixes to your search.

Last edited:
Top Bottom