Cannot Edit/Remove Stock Warning "Inappropriate Advertising / Spam"

Alteran Ancient

Hey there.

So I want to edit the default warning message for "Inappropriate Advertising / Spam". However, when I proceed to click on it, I get met by a white page with nothing on it - the browser's tab title simply says "admin.php (1 x 1)", as though it were trying to display an image file.

If I then try to delete it straight from the warnings list, I receive the following error...
"The server responded with an error. The error message is in the JavaScript console."

Output of the JavaScript Console:
Code:
PHP GIF89a????!?,D; xenforo.js:195
c.extend.handleServerError xenforo.js:195
c.extend.ajax.c.extend.error xenforo.js:193
d.extend._Deferred.f.resolveWith jquery-1.5.2.min.js:16
v jquery-1.5.2.min.js:16
d.support.ajax.d.ajaxTransport.send.c jquery-1.5.2.min.js:16

All of the other warnings are fine, and nothing is appearing in Server Error logs relating to this issue.

UPDATE: Kaspersky appears to be the culprit here, but as to "why", I am unsure. It wouldn't even let me view this bug report.

Try disabling any addons to see if that fixes it. If not then I can take a look if you give me admin access. I had to troubleshoot an error like this once before. I ended up having to modify the js to output the full error.

This software?

http://usa.kaspersky.com/

That doesn't make sense that a client program could cause a server error in XF.
Yeah. I thought it was rather odd how my MacBook wouldn't give me any problems, whereas my custom-built Desktop wouldn't even load the page, and then wouldn't load my thread on here either. What I initially thought was a server error or issue with the JavaScript turned-out to be a client-side issue.

Disabling the "Anti-Banner" protection seemed to stop the problem, but why it specifically chose to stop the Advertising/Spam warning and this thread, I have no idea.

I'm going to keep on experimenting with whitelists etc. and see what triggered it. There are likely other people using this software, and sometimes, it's too effective for its own good.

Yeah. I thought it was rather odd how my MacBook wouldn't give me any problems, whereas my custom-built Desktop wouldn't even load the page, and then wouldn't load my thread on here either. What I initially thought was a server error or issue with the JavaScript turned-out to be a client-side issue.

Disabling the "Anti-Banner" protection seemed to stop the problem, but why it specifically chose to stop the Advertising/Spam warning and this thread, I have no idea.

I'm going to keep on experimenting with whitelists etc. and see what triggered it. There are likely other people using this software, and sometimes, it's too effective for its own good.
I can answer this as a long time Kaspersky users.

Anti-Banner is typically off by default and many people prefer it this way. The reason is it has a habit of blocking java scripts. Which a lot sites use for "banners" or other crazy code. XenForo is heavy in CSS, HTML, PHP, and of course scripts (including java scripts).

So Kaspersky was blocking that and thus, you're computer didn't have all the cached files and templates and when you submitted anything (clicked on button) ... You sent maybe only part of what was required. So naturally the site and your browser, didn't know what you were doing (the two were not speaking to each other correctly)

You can find a lot of people commenting about how "X" site not working, because of Kaspersky (see their forums) using the ant-banner options. Go back further enough (few years) and you'll see when they turned it off by default.

The option is still there for companies who use their own in-house code and thus, don't worry about such banner type attacks or just add their own scripts to the ignore list.

This Kaspersky issue effects just about all for software (XenForo, vBulletin, IPB, phpBB, SMF, WordPress, ect... ect...). You just don't hear about it much, because the normal user keeps to the default settings.

Top Bottom