• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Can you have paid subscriptions?

3RJ

Hello,

I have a few questions. I am the ultimate novice, so please forgive me if my questions are silly.

1. Can I set up “premium” forums, where one section of the forum requires a paid subscription? (Say for example, maybe the “Official Forums” of the xenForo Community would require a paid premium account to access.)

2. Can you block a member from only certain parts of the forum?

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
1. Yes, a paid subscription would set a user to join a secondary user group, from which you would then set the forums so said user group can access the premium content.

2. Yes :)

3RJ

Great, thanks! Do you happen to know of a xF forum that is currently doing this (paid subscriptions)? I'd like to take a look-see.

KozmoK

I run a paid system (200-300 subscriptions per month) It works well. With that said, this is a new product and there needs to be further Admin enhancements to it hopefully soon.

Here are my thoughts:

1) There needs to be better listing/filter to find active transactions (search?)
2) Transaction history searching
3) Edit upgrade (Add/Subtract Time)

I am sure evetually this will either be done via add-in, or on one of the future upgrades.

I also need to know about paid subscriptions. I'm not clear - yes, this is a feature that is currently part of Xenforo? I didn't see it in the demo.

I can see adding permissions through secondary usergroups - can this be driven automatically through the Paypal api / ipn system?
Do the subscriptions / permissions automatically expire at the end of the term?

Blue

I also need to know about paid subscriptions. I'm not clear - yes, this is a feature that is currently part of Xenforo? I didn't see it in the demo.

I can see adding permissions through secondary usergroups - can this be driven automatically through the Paypal api / ipn system?
Do the subscriptions / permissions automatically expire at the end of the term?
Yes to all.

Deepmartini

What exactly can we offer users as an upgrade? More space? Avatar? No Ads (removal of google adsense which shows for guests)? Is there a list somewhere of everything we can tweak and offer paid members? Also, what if we don't want to use Paypal. What about other payment options such as Authorize.net?

Blue

I think it's just paypal at the moment, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Yes PM space, private forums, and no ads is a big incentive in my book.

Dean

I think it's just paypal at the moment, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Yes PM space, private forums, and no ads is a big incentive in my book.
Yes Paypal is the only one supported at this time.

I must have missed something.. how to limit PM space?

I've given my members the ability to set their own user title, that is about all I came up with. Maybe signatures in the future if/when those can have limits.

Blue

My mistake I must have been thinking of my old forum software. And yes, some people really like the being able to set a custom title.

Trombones13

I must have missed something.. how to limit PM space?

I've given my members the ability to set their own user title, that is about all I came up with. Maybe signatures in the future if/when those can have limits.
I didn't see an option for that either--just the ability to limit how many people you can message in a single conversation.