1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you have paid subscriptions?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by 3RJ, Jul 5, 2011.

1. 3RJ

3RJ New Member

Hello,

I have a few questions. I am the ultimate novice, so please forgive me if my questions are silly.

1. Can I set up “premium” forums, where one section of the forum requires a paid subscription? (Say for example, maybe the “Official Forums” of the xenForo Community would require a paid premium account to access.)

2. Can you block a member from only certain parts of the forum?

2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

1. Yes, a paid subscription would set a user to join a secondary user group, from which you would then set the forums so said user group can access the premium content.

2. Yes :)

3. 3RJ

3RJ New Member

Great, thanks! Do you happen to know of a xF forum that is currently doing this (paid subscriptions)? I'd like to take a look-see.

4. KozmoK

KozmoK Active Member

I run a paid system (200-300 subscriptions per month) It works well. With that said, this is a new product and there needs to be further Admin enhancements to it hopefully soon.

Here are my thoughts:

1) There needs to be better listing/filter to find active transactions (search?)
    2) Transaction history searching
    3) Edit upgrade (Add/Subtract Time)

I am sure evetually this will either be done via add-in, or on one of the future upgrades.

5. 3RJ

3RJ New Member

KozmoK, would you mind sharing the link to your site?

6. KozmoK

KozmoK Active Member

www.rentacheat.com is my site - I sell game/cheats - you wont be able to see the VIP area.

7. ragtek

ragtek Guest

8. sunnydaze

sunnydaze Member

I also need to know about paid subscriptions. I'm not clear - yes, this is a feature that is currently part of Xenforo? I didn't see it in the demo.

I can see adding permissions through secondary usergroups - can this be driven automatically through the Paypal api / ipn system?
    Do the subscriptions / permissions automatically expire at the end of the term?

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Yes to all.

10. sunnydaze

sunnydaze Member

Good answer. :) Is the paid sub function part of the demo? I must have missed it - how do I navigate to it in the demo?

11. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

In the ACP it's under users >> user upgrades

12. sunnydaze

sunnydaze Member

Got it. Thank you. :)

Liking it better all the time.

13. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Subscriptions work great, just set em and forget em. Totally automated.

14. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

What exactly can we offer users as an upgrade? More space? Avatar? No Ads (removal of google adsense which shows for guests)? Is there a list somewhere of everything we can tweak and offer paid members? Also, what if we don't want to use Paypal. What about other payment options such as Authorize.net?

15. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I think it's just paypal at the moment, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Yes PM space, private forums, and no ads is a big incentive in my book.

16. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Yes Paypal is the only one supported at this time.

I must have missed something.. how to limit PM space?

I've given my members the ability to set their own user title, that is about all I came up with. Maybe signatures in the future if/when those can have limits.

17. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

My mistake I must have been thinking of my old forum software. And yes, some people really like the being able to set a custom title.

18. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

I didn't see an option for that either--just the ability to limit how many people you can message in a single conversation.

19. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Anything which is part of the user group / user permissions can ultimately be used, along with access to other forums, less/no adverts, use of add-ons, etc.

20. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

Cometchat is also an addon you can use for subscribers. You can set it to only be active for certain user groups.