MG 2.1 Can XFMG create 2 thumbnail sizes? One for site, one for social shares?

drastic

Wondering if it's possible that XFMG can somehow create 2 different thumbnails.

One could be 300x300 and displayed on the site.
The second could be 840x480, the minimum size you need to get the big preview image on Facebook/Twitter.

Any way I can do this?

840x300 is not the optimal size.

Try setting "Maximum thumbnail dimensions" to 474x249. This will give you a thumbnail good enough for a large view on FB; unsure about Twitter.

It's also similarly the same size as the 300x300 (90k pixels vs 118k pixels) which is a nice middle ground to only have 1 thumbnail displayed.

Can't do that because then the media page has giant images instead of a nice grid. 300x300 gives it a nice grid for people on the site, but needs a second thumbnail for social shares.

Can't do that because then the media page has giant images instead of a nice grid. 300x300 gives it a nice grid for people on the site, but needs a second thumbnail for social shares.
My thumbnails are set to that and it looks alright with a 3-column grid. I just reduced the number of images to 18 per page.

Sharing makes a large thumbnail link where it "confuses" most people that it's an image (garnering a click).

Just a workaround until we can have more than 1 image created (I'd say four sizes: S, M, L, Full) so that mobile users could see the S size and not download 30-megapixel images each flip.

If it's OK, do you mind sharing your media page, or a screenshot? Can DM if you like.

Another fix, even though it's not ideal for pagespeed, is to simply resize the images on the media page via css, like setting the height/width - but then the pagespeed you lose probably isn't worth it.

thx for the tips.

i wish so much xenforo will give us another 'thumbnail size'....full size images are really only useful for inspection after clicking...or let see, dont think we even have that functionality do we? i believe you have to right click open in new tab, then click again or some such if i recall....anyway, any other time they just slow things down for no good reason....

it is a barrier to optimization and page load times...it doesnt need to fill our servers with 5 clone images, even just 1 more option would be amazingly helpful....unfortunately doesnt seem to be interest to see this any time soon :(

it is a barrier to optimization and page load times...it doesnt need to fill our servers with 5 clone images, even just 1 more option would be amazingly helpful....unfortunately doesnt seem to be interest to see this any time soon :(

I would like 2 - one for onsite, one for sharing.

Anymore and your server will fill up fast. The Newspaper theme for WP does this and it's awful. They have like 20 different thumbnails for each image. It's terrible...

Top Bottom