Can we sell our unused vB4 licenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainArchitect.com

I haven't been on this site for more than 12 hours and I already had this question which I probably should be asking in a different place on the Internet, but I don't like visiting the other site.

Edit: I am not looking to sell here, I was just curious whether I could get an answer here quicker than I could on the other site.

Whilst I am no moderator here, I am pretty sure that this is not the place to do so :)

Ahh.. interesting, I have a vB license to sell also, will check that site out.

I fear now they are already openly talking about vB5 across the road, any value of second-hand vB4 licences will be next to nothing.

I fear now they are already openly talking about vB5 across the road, any value of second-hand vB4 licences will be next to nothing.

I have a license that is about to expire .......... over the last whole year I have tried to sell it, even when offered for free I couldn't shift it, what does that say about the feeling in the market place for this product? The ill feeling rather than product quality is the oft quoted problem.

I didn't have any problem selling both of my licenses just 6 months ago. But you're not going to get anywhere close to what you want for them.

What?!?! They are talking about VB5?! VB4 isn't even finished, and when it is the paint won't have even dried on it :eek:

Is that their business model, to do many half-baked releases in short amounts of time so everyone has to pay the full price again?

So in five years time we'll be at VB10?

What?!?! They are talking about VB5?! VB4 isn't even finished, and when it is the paint won't have even dried on it :eek:

Yep, Fabian their Vice President of Technology, in his 'What's to come for vBulletin' annoucement, has stated that, "vBulletin 5 is underway. I wish I could disclose what it contains because I think it will be very cool and ground breaking. But I can not share with all of you yet what vB5 is."

I'm thinking about selling two of them. What's the market price for suite? Can I expect 50%?

Yep, Fabian their Vice President of Technology, in his 'What's to come for vBulletin' annoucement, has stated that, "vBulletin 5 is underway. I wish I could disclose what it contains because I think it will be very cool and ground breaking. But I can not share with all of you yet what vB5 is."
That's just insane. So a very bad vB4 suite that should never have been released as gold, expensive to buy, and now they are going to release vB5 shortly for again the full price? I can not imagine what customers are going to swallow that. I sure will not, and I have a big board with enough money to spend. For small board owners with little income that would be more than enough reason to leave vB.

Well in that case, and if it's true (who knows as Fabian is obviously new, he wasn't there when I was a VB4 license holder) then VB5 should surely have been VB4. VB5 just sounds like a more matured VB4 anyway.

Just had a read through that announcement and I couldn't help while reading it thinking... "Here's a lamb to the slaughter." The guy seems very genuine in his attempts to try and fix things but his announcement and subsequent replies are littered with unintentional but inflammatory all the same remarks. So on one hand I couldn't help feel sorry for him trying his best, but then when he says VB5 will not be a complete rewrite. Ouch!

Yeah, it's like watching a slow motion car crash.

I *suspect* that IB being a big corporation has a launch date* for vB5 in their business plan and it'll be launched no matter what state it & vB4 are in to ensure revenue starts to flow - in the meantime the likes of Fabian (he's been there 4 months now) are left throwing cups of water on a massive fire, whilst oddly fanning the frames with his other hand.

* I reckon that date is towards the end of next years, 2 years after vB4, at a guess.

It should be pretty obvious that vB will be working on vB5 already as it's where their next slice of pie will come from given the new licensing system. I doubt the current state of play is leading to many new sales or licence upgrades. However working on doesn't equate to an imminent release and I'm sure XenFORO will be released long before vB5 sees the light of day.

IMHO Fabian's mistake was to announce that it's being worked on. That was never going to go down well with the majority of disgruntled user who have bought into vB4 and perhaps shows that he isn't fully up to speed with the state of play yet. As has been said, he appears to mean well but at the moment it's just words, many of which have been heard before. It'll be interesting to see if he's able to maintain his current enthusiasm for the task at hand.

This is why I didn't buy into vB4 except for one license; I figured they'd be doing a new major version once a year.

Announcing a new version 3 months and 8 days before 2011? Thats just asking for angry customers with their licensing model. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom