XF 2.2 Can we prevent brand new users from private messaging until a trigger?

zackw

When a spam registration does happen to get through, one of the first things they do is mass spam users directly with messages.

Is there a way to not allow new users to private message until a certain trigger? For example they have to wait a day, or have a few posts created, etc?

And if we can't use triggers, is there a way to use spam/stop words so that private messages don't get created, or have to be approved, when those trigger words are there? I'm not sure if there is moderation rules on user messages, that would seem to defeat the purpose of being "private".

In any case, is there anything we can do to stop new users immediately spamming user messages?

I thought about user group promotions but it seems like overkill. Every new member is a "Registered", so now I have to create a whole new group with just one permission changed, and promote them to include it. I can do that, but thought there was a cleaner solution.

The xf2addons idea is possible, we have purchased this and run other of their plugins. Thanks!

I thought about user group promotions but it seems like overkill. Every new member is a "Registered", so now I have to create a whole new group with just one permission changed, and promote them to include it. I can do that, but thought there was a cleaner solution.
The point of groups is permissions so it is not overkill, no. They are secondary so they are not moved from Registered.

Last edited:
The point of groups is permissions so it is not overkill, no. They secondary are so they are not moved from Registered.

Ok, I thought it was overkill since it only changes one single permission. And further I need to apply this secondary role now to the entire userbase.

What I was thinking is perhaps there could be a new permission added to the group permissions in the "Conversation permissions" section that only allows PMs after they've posted a few times, or after they've been registered a certain amount of time (or both). If this were simply a normal permission for conversations, that would seem to me the cleanest. They have other permissions here like maximum recipients and time limit for editing. So adding a couple more to prevent new user spam would make sense to me.

It will automatically promote all users who fit the promotion details the next time the usergroup promotion job runs, I think its set for every 10 minutes.

You will be glad it's a group when you find new members sneaking spam on profile posts or something else you want to control. Then you just use this same group. Give it a name like Enhanced or Extra Features, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom