Can the file manager be included for self-hosted as well?

This would be a welcome feature. +1 vote from me as well. Some modifications require you to upload files to the server and it would be handy for those. Sometimes it's a PITA to SFTP the files to the server and something built in would be quick and easy.
Also those add-on developers should be reminded that we already have a system they can use called the asset uploader. All they need to do is add a specific field to a template and this will allow files their add-on uses to be uploaded.

A bit like we have for a bunch of our style properties. No real reason an add-on dev can’t be providing access to that for most files.

But, again, if it’s not image files, then you probably need SFTP anyway.

Also those add-on developers should be reminded that we already have a system they can use called the asset uploader. All they need to do is add a specific field to a template and this will allow files their add-on uses to be uploaded.

A bit like we have for a bunch of our style properties. No real reason an add-on dev can’t be providing access to that for most files.

But, again, if it’s not image files, then you probably need SFTP anyway.

AndyB has lots of mods that require an image be uploaded. The guy has a billion mods so I know he's stretched thin. I'm not going to ask him to update all his mods when you get them all for a flat $35 fee. I'm so damned grateful :)

Sometimes it's handy if I just have to hard code an image into a template, there are lots of reasons for a file manager... but yes, SFTP is an option, just a bit of a PITA sometimes.

AndyB has lots of mods that require an image be uploaded. The guy has a billion mods so I know he's stretched thin. I'm not going to ask him to update all his mods when you get them all for a flat $35 fee. I'm so damned grateful :)
That’s not really a great excuse. Sometimes developers may just not know a feature exists or how to use it.

FWIW the asset upload feature I’m talking about is so simple all it requires is changing from the use of one template tag to another. An assetupload tag rather than a textbox tag.

It’s basically a two second job.

But, yes, there are likely more uses besides that. Cloud customers don’t have SFTP access so that’s why the tool exists at all.

If we released it - and that’s a bit of an if at this point - it would just become part of the core software.

It’s also not particularly useful for much more than images at this point.
Even better. :)

If you wanted to develop it into a more general uploader, then that would improve it further. I get you guys have enough on your plate with other things though.

Yeah my goal for this really wouldn't be to expand it beyond its current capabilities because quite frankly... I don't see why you'd need to upload non-image files using it. This was handy uploading custom images / ad banners around the site that aren't attached to style properties.

Would be handy to keep custom avatars inside of it just in case people wanted to migrate somewhere else. But also good if somebody who wanted to change their avatar back to their original one you'd be able to help them.

Top Bottom