XF 2.2 Can "likes" be implemented so they are anonymous?

Kilt

I haven't yet implemented XF and the demo is hard for me to understand as one with no admin experience.

My old school and FB-averse members might tolerate the "like" button function for posts, but probably wouldn't want all their names appearing as the "likers" of the post, as I've seen on many XF sites. Can the admin implement anonymous "likes" to a post, and how?

Well, then, can "likes" be turned off. I see a page that has an array of reactions that all have an on-off switch except for "likes". Can "likes" be turned off via some other mechanism than that page?

Well, then, can "likes" be turned off. I see a page that has an array of reactions that all have an on-off switch except for "likes". Can "likes" be turned off via some other mechanism than that page?
May not be the best way but you can disallow react to post in permissions

May not be the best way but you can disallow react to post in permissions
Thanks, Mr Lucky, I can see that in the Demo. By default, registered users have "React to posts" set to YES whereas unregistered/unconfirmed users have it set to NO. If "react" includes liking, then that may be a solution.

Does anyone know if there is a detriment to setting react permission to NO for all users?

Does anyone know if there is a detriment to setting react permission to NO for all users?
The only detriment would be if it makes your users sad that they can’t react to posts.

Or it could be argued there are SEO advantages to reactions.

Last edited:

The only detriment would be if it makes your users sad that they can’t react to posts.
Haha, but of course they can react . . . using things called WORDS.

Mini Rant: Methinks some software designers don't realize that older folks have been posting text -- and only text -- on internet venues that used to be called bulletin boards for 20 years before Facebook introduced the thumbs-up like button in 2009. Millions of these older posters are still text-oriented, and absolutely hate what they consider to be the textual superficiality of social media and the array of text-averse gimmicks such as like buttons.

There are also arguments that like buttons reward and shape undesirable behaviors on forums that are oriented to educational and thoughtful discussions of specific topics.

Therefore, like buttons should always be optional in discussion forums until such an unhappy future when everyone in the world communicates everything only with cell phone pictures, 144 characters and cartoon emojis.

Last edited:
Very sorry if it came off as snarky. Your reponses about permissions was very helpful to this novice, Mr Lucky. I was just trying to explain why members of a board like mine would not miss a like button at all.

Top Bottom