Can I give a copy of Xenforo to my forum theme developer so he can make a new design for me?

Cromulent

I'm working on a website with someone else (I'm actually upgrading an already existing website) and have someone who is going to be developing a new forum skin for me that will match the rest of the website. Am I allowed to give him a copy of Xenforo to develop against? He will only run it in a virtual machine on his home computer while he makes the skin. It won't be accessible to the public but he doesn't want to have to buy a copy for himself when we already have a licensed copy for the website we are working on.

Is this allowed? I don't want to break any rules but at the same time if it is not allowed it seems a bit harsh when it comes to teams working on the same website together.

Thanks for any help :).

From the License Agreement
Before deploying the Software, you must register in the XenForo.com customer area the address (URL) at which You will use the License. This URL must be kept up-to-date. You may create a single additional test installation for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.

So technically if he's part of your website staff then.... yes? If he's a developer for a separate company/entity then no.

Just remember that you are responsible for the license.

You could easily clone your website, disable email in the config.php, remove the private forums, and give the user an admin account. And sftp access to just the styles/newstyle/ folder. And no permission to install add-ons or control admin permissions.

From the License Agreement

So technically if he's part of your website staff then.... yes? If he's a developer for a separate company/entity then no.

If outsourcing dev work to a company/agency I think it should be fine? After all, technically they are working for him. Could be wrong, though if that were a violation that does seem pretty strict IMO.

If outsourcing dev work to a company/agency I think it should be fine? After all, technically they are working for him. Could be wrong, though if that were a violation that does seem pretty strict IMO.

Thanks for the reply but I got the forum theme done by an already existing Xenforo theme developer who had their own copy so it is all good.

Top Bottom