Can I get an invite to ello?

I admire their ethos and the manifesto makes for an interesting read, but it will be interesting to see if they can stick to being ad-free it in the longer term. Good luck to them. (y)

I admire their ethos and the manifesto makes for an interesting read, but it will be interesting to see if they can stick to being ad-free it in the longer term. Good luck to them. (y)
As far as I know, they sell some "extras" that people can optionally buy. However, I don't think this model is scalable to the level of traffic that Facebook has.

As far as I know, they sell some "extras" that people can optionally buy. However, I don't think this model is scalable to the level of traffic that Facebook has.
I have the same feeling. I also don't see what's wrong with making money using ads. I can kinda see what they are saying but a few ads is not a bad thing when using a free service.

Probably worth reading into Ello a bit and why it's being abandoned by a lot of developers/designers.

Turns out its actually VC funded and not some small little project run by a handful of 'good guys'. Given it's VC funded it's got to make significant amounts of cash at some point, or they've got to sell up (meaning your data gets sold).

https://aralbalkan.com/notes/ello-goodbye/

Top Bottom