Can Error msg get customized?

Divinum Fiat

I'm creating some tabs that are for specific membership levels and right now when a 'wrong' level tries accessing that tab they get a message saying:

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.
I'd like to customize this sentence some and tell them 'why' and 'how' they can get access. Where do I do that?
thank you !

I had to hide that particular page/tab as the breadscrumbs were all messed up. Let me see if Jake can see what's wrong with the breadcrumbs, then I'll public the page/tab again and I'll send you the info. Thank you!

What's wrong with the breadcrumbs? They look good to me. Note that my addon roots breadcrumbs to the node tab. That way when you are inside of a node tab you don't see breadcrumbs from "above" that tab, thereby making it more of its own section.

I just had to disable your add-on. Andrej tried to get the notices to work but it just wouldn't work. So we disabled your add-on and then it worked. I'm glad I haven't started building the library yet. :-) Maybe I'll stick with using forum posts for each book instead of links to ebooks within pages.

Note that if you want the notice to show for all children of a category then you need to select all of those child forums in the notice criteria. Notices are automatically inherited by child nodes. Each node must be explicitly set.

Actually there is some inconsistency there with the addon. Normally it does inherit. But with the addon enabled the notice isn't inherited if it's only set for the node tab itself. It's a small problem that can be worked around by simply selecting all child forums as well.

It must be something to do with the addon changing the major section. I'm not sure there is anything I can do about that.

Yes, I just retested with a basic member and although I could click on the library and it did give me the notice, which I tried to ignore, it then brought me to the login page but I was actually able to click on one of the library's child forums. Which shouldn't be.

I assumed that by setting the permissions and notices for the parent node it would automatically be the standing rule for all sub-forums and pages. But that is not the case.

Still debating what is the easiest way to build this library, given all future growth, upgrades, and potential massive content. :-)

Thank you, Jake!!:notworthy:

Yes, I just retested with a basic member and although I could click on the library and it did give me the notice, which I tried to ignore, it then brought me to the login page but I was actually able to click on one of the library's child forums. Which shouldn't be.

Which "library child forum" are you talking about? Is it a link underneath a tab? Which tab? If it's a node tab from my addon then you may wish to enable this option for the tab:

Screen shot 2011-12-11 at 1.45.16 AM.webp

The addon gives you the choice to check permissions or not (with respect to displaying the link).

ok, cool. I read that but was a bit worried about the many, many ebooks that get uploaded, didn't want to slow down performance. Still not sure I'm making all of this out of pages. All the html stuff is daunting to me. :-) Ideally we'll have an add-on at some point that allows me to have a list A-Z with a column of the category and then sortable based on user preference (A-Z on book title or category). Maybe someone will come up with that. :-)

Top Bottom