XF 2.2 Can a Status Update be copied to a thread?

Ludachris

Let's say a user posts a status update via their profile. That post ends up being useful in an existing thread too... is there a moderator function that allows the status update to be copied to an existing thread, similar to the "copy post" function? I'm not on the latest version of XF so I can't see the moderator options currently available, which is why I'm asking. Sorry.

No but if you have the change owner add-on, you could copy all the content, post it, and change the owner to that person. It's only a couple steps.

No but if you have the change owner add-on, you could copy all the content, post it, and change the owner to that person. It's only a couple steps.
Yeah, that could work, but it's not really sustainable if it has to be done often. I'm just thinking that if we promote the usage of the Status Update a little more, the users might end up posting updates we'd rather have posted in certain forums. If we were able to quickly copy that update to a thread, it would be okay. Just something we'd have to educate the user on ("post that sort of thing over there instead of in a status update").

So you want to promote the usage of status updates but afraid they will actually use it, and for things "you" want on the forum instead. Well can't help you there.
:LOL:

I know, it sounds dumb. It's a constant balancing act trying to make content easy to post quickly for people who are used to using social media, but also keeping the content organized in a way that traditional forum users are accustomed to.

We have a forum dedicated to vehicle builds, which is fairly common on automotive sites, and very popular among our users. My concern would be that if we promoted the Status Update as a means to post quick updates and media uploads, that more users would start posting their vehicle updates as Status Updates instead of updating their build threads, which our members see as a very valuable part of our forum - that type of content would then become more fragmented. We could try and combat it with the moderators copying those updates to the appropriate build threads, but I'm not sure if that's sustainable if it's not an easy process.

:LOL:

I know, it sounds dumb. It's a constant balancing act trying to make content easy to post quickly for people who are used to using social media, but also keeping the content organized in a way that traditional forum users are accustomed to.

We have a forum dedicated to vehicle builds, which is fairly common on automotive sites, and very popular among our users. My concern would be that if we promoted the Status Update as a means to post quick updates and media uploads, that more users would start posting their vehicle updates as Status Updates instead of updating their build threads, which our members see as a very valuable part of our forum - that type of content would then become more fragmented. We could try and combat it with the moderators copying those updates to the appropriate build threads, but I'm not sure if that's sustainable if it's not an easy process.
Not dumb at all.

Try it out and see if your concern holds merit. You may be worrying over nothing. Your members are creatures of habit. If you have vehicle build threads they will migrate there anyway.

Or name the Profile Post function to something you want them to do there. What do you want them to post there? You could edit your prompt as well. XF's says "Update your status..."
Mine says "What's on your mind?"

Your members are creatures of habit. If you have vehicle build threads they will migrate there anyway.
Well, the concern is that they'll use the easier path, which is the status update. The people viewing the build threads would go to the build threads forum out of habit, but if fewer updates get posted in that forum it would be pretty unfortunate.

You're right though, there's no way to know what will happen until we try out some things.

Top Bottom