Call me crazy but... ...Can I repurpose a forum skin from Vbulletin to a migrated version on Xenforo

Hoolio

I have 2 communities

A smaller one on XF (all good.. no issues - hooray for Xenforo!)

And a 12 year old, 9 million post community on VB3.8 with a lot of complex customizations and I would rather wait for XF v2.1 before migrating to XF.

My problem is, the skin of the Vb3.8 forum looks horribly dated and ugly. So I want to give it a 'lick of paint' and make it look nicer and more 'modern' for the wait period for XF v2.1's release.

My questions to my learned friends here is.....

Can a forum 'skin' be built now for a Vb3.8 forum in a way that makes it "portable' for possible reuse on XF later? Should a good designer be able to tweak their VB work so it works on XF?

Or will any design work done now - have to be totally re done later?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
If you can migrate away from vb3 now then do it to save yourself and your community from a lot of upcoming headache. Things will keep breaking.
If you wait for XF2.1 and all the addons you need updated then that could take years. Consider to take advantage of the richness that is present now. Then upgrade to XF2.1 when that is ready.
Forget about making a responsive vb3 style. Its a headache.

I have 2 communities

A smaller one on XF (all good.. no issues - hooray for Xenforo!)

And a 12 year old, 9 million post community on VB3.8 with a lot of complex customizations and I would rather wait for XF v2.1 before migrating to XF.

My problem is, the skin of the Vb3.8 forum looks horribly dated and ugly. So I want to give it a 'lick of paint' and make it look nicer and more 'modern' for the wait period for XF v2.1's release.

My questions to my learned friends here is.....

Can a forum 'skin' be built now for a Vb3.8 forum in a way that makes it "portable' for possible reuse on XF later? Should a good designer be able to tweak their VB work so it works on XF?

Or will any design work done now - have to be totally re done later?

Thanks in advance,
That could be a bit of a wait, XF2.0 doesn't even have any current timeframe on release. IMO trying to patch up a vB3 setup with a lick of paint would be money down the drain. XF 1.5 is very solid right now and will likely continue to be for a long while I'd say. It may be worthwhile to dig into what you would require to convert now, may be surprised at what is already out and what is possible. Just a suggestion though but as @Alfa1 said it sounds like a headache.

I recently converted a customized VB 3.8 community to XF 1.5 and my members love it. Dont throw time and money down the drain, spend it on XF 1.5.

Top Bottom