California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) comes into effect on January 1st.

Alpha1

California's version of the GDPR comes into effect in a few days. If your site has members in California then you should review the new law. If you have already implemented GDPR measures then it seems that few changes are needed. But i suggest to examine it well, because users can sue you for breaching the CCPA.

More information here:

California's version of the GDPR comes into effect in a few days. If your site has members in California then you should review the new law. If you have already implemented GDPR measures then it seems that few changes are needed. But i suggest to examine it well, because users can sue you for breaching the CCPA.

More information here:
What measures do you think needs to be in place?

Based on this...

it's 50,000 in California annually... which is gonna be hard to hit for Xenforo registrations I think.

The CCPA applies to all types of for-profit business entities — from sole proprietorships to corporations — that meet one of three criteria: (1) the business has gross revenues in excess of $25 million; (2) the business annually buys, receives, sells, or shares the personal information of 50,000 or more California residents; or (3) the business derives 50% or more of its annual revenues from selling California residents' personal information.

eh... but then goes on to say, it might be easy to hit.

Moreover, the CCPA broadly defines personal information to encompass "information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household." Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.140(o)(1). This includes not only the usual personal information categories such as names, addresses, Social Security numbers, and driver's license numbers, but also additional categories such as IP addresses, purchasing or consuming histories, browsing history, and information regarding a consumer's interaction with a website. Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.140(o)(1)A–J.

so might not be just registrations

Yeah, its visits. Not registrations.
Consequently, if a business's website collects IP addresses, like most do, amassing the personal information of 50,000 California consumers could happen quickly. In fact, this threshold would be met if the website were visited by an average of just 137 California residents per day over the course of the year. This could also be a concern for bloggers and other individuals realizing profits from social media, whose websites may collect personal information from more than 50,000 Californians every year.
It seems to me that Google Analytics should show if there are more than 50k California visits per year.

How are VPNs treated?

Our forum is overseas and a lot of users prefer the CA ones as they tend to be the fastest to provide other services such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.

It specifically refers to "California residents".

In most, if not all cases, it would be impossible to know whether the IP address belongs to a resident, or a visitor to the area.
Even if it was a static IP address assigned to a residential household, you have no way of knowing that the person who accessed the site with that IP address is a resident.

Another ridiculous thing most of us can thankfully ignore.

you have no way of knowing that the person who accessed the site with that IP address is a resident
Good point.

Even though nearly 200,000 Active Duty are assigned to California (0.005%), it's still something to consider. I "lived" in California for training, but would I count as a different state's resident on a personal computer in my barracks?

Good point.

Even though nearly 200,000 Active Duty are assigned to California (0.005%), it's still something to consider. I "lived" in California for training, but would I count as a different state's resident on a personal computer in my barracks?

US military personnel can actually have residential exemption. Just like a college student (over 2 million in CA) who may be living in a state for 4-5+ years while going to school, military personnel stationed in a state for numerous years can still be a resident of their "home" state.

US military personnel can actually have residential exemption. Just like a college student (over 2 million in CA) who may be living in a state for 4-5+ years while going to school, military personnel stationed in a state for numerous years can still be a resident of their "home" state.
Exactly. I was still one of the 200,000, but, I wasn't a California resident. My residency was in another state.

So, this is tricky on the technological side of things when people put in "California" or California IP addresses are logged as a view (if it's 50,000 views). It gets to the point of micro-management to ensure that you're not breaking the law when there are many forums in the military community or with overlapping interests.

So if you receive a request from California resident to delete their data or to get a copy their data, you should request their address to make certain they are in fact a California resident?

So if you receive a request from California resident to delete their data or to get a copy their data, you should request their address to make certain they are in fact a California resident?
That's what I did with the GDPR. Such lunacy. "Oh, you want to be deleted? Please send me a drivers license, two recent bills, and a picture of you holding up a piece of paper with my site name so I can prove that I have to delete your information." That's how stupid these laws are. And while this is suppose to help with privacy, how much more information did I just gather to prove the person can be deleted? Any malicious individual can use this information to cause WAY more harm than a couple ads.

Top Bottom