Buying a Projector - Suggestions

yavuz

Recently I was asked by a teacher friend of mine who is in desperate need of a Projector & Beamer. She asked for my opinion about the general prices of these devices and what to consider as feature or hardware. I searched through the conventional devices that is economic and able to last a few years before it starts to fall apart. There were some new ones, pocket size projectors with cool features and internal storage, bult-in document viewers, audio etc.

The school wants to but two of them. According what they say, 300-450 EUR is what they could pay for a each one. There are two differend kind models that convinced me but I thought I'd give it a shot and ask if anyone had an experience with these type of devices.

Full HD LED Beamer 2000 Lumen 3HDMI 2 USB | eBay
AAXA P4 Pico Projector - DLP Hand-held Mini Projector

Thanks.

Hmm, I would be a little wary about buying unbranded stuff from Ebay, speaking from personal experience of course.

Especially a projector which claims FULL HD, but then in the video table says:

Resolution of MOVIE can only support 1024*768 and less than 1024*768

Hmm, I would be a little wary about buying unbranded stuff from Ebay, speaking from personal experience of course.

Especially a projector which claims FULL HD, but then in the video table says:

Resolution of MOVIE can only support 1024*768 and less than 1024*768

So much detail to overlook. So in order it to be full HD what resolutions should it support?

An important spec are lumens.
How much light is in the room?
How far is the projector going to be from the screen?

They would use them in a normal classroom, maybe curtains closed but definitely not black curtains. She has a laptop, it would hooked up to one, so they could put it anywhere.

So much detail to overlook. So in order it to be full HD what resolutions should it support?

Not sure with regards to projectors, but see if this guide helps - http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/home-cinema-projectors-advice.htm

I know it's based on home cinema setups, but it has some useful info.

The one in your original post seems to be some unknown Chinese brand, so, assuming it arrives and then breaks in 2 months time, where do you go for repair under the "2 year" warranty? china? heh

I wouldn't buy anything from eBay for a school institution - in the long-term, you could be held responsible if the unit screws up. If the unit screws up in the short term, and your teacher needs it, you could be in more trouble than it's worth. I'm talking about immediately, and like, right then and there. You could be in trouble with the school, too.

What I'd do is go to a real retailer and get them from there. No matter the cost - have a receipt handy, and ready with your teacher. If the unit screws up, he can go and return it, or repair it.

Schools pay the highest bidder for these units, so I don't think price is an issue here. He wants you to share your expertise in the field saying "this unit is better than the one you have now." And then he can either buy it himself, or the school can reimburse his payment, or straight up pay for the unit.

I know these are not cheap. I know that.

Recently I was asked by a teacher friend of mine who is in desperate need of a Projector & Beamer. She asked for my opinion about the general prices of these devices and what to consider as feature or hardware. I searched through the conventional devices that is economic and able to last a few years before it starts to fall apart. There were some new ones, pocket size projectors with cool features and internal storage, bult-in document viewers, audio etc.

The school wants to but two of them. According what they say, 300-450 EUR is what they could pay for a each one. There are two differend kind models that convinced me but I thought I'd give it a shot and ask if anyone had an experience with these type of devices.

Full HD LED Beamer 2000 Lumen 3HDMI 2 USB | eBay
AAXA P4 Pico Projector - DLP Hand-held Mini Projector

Thanks.
How did you make out.
I need 6 projectors for an event and to rent them they are $600/day.
We use them often enough that we should go ahead and buy new ones.
My current LCD projector is 1100 lumens and retail for $1600.00 US.

I wonder what you found?

How did you make out.
I need 6 projectors for an event and to rent them they are $600/day.
We use them often enough that we should go ahead and buy new ones.
My current LCD projector is 1100 lumens and retail for $1600.00 US.

I wonder what you found?

I went for this one: AAXA P4 Pico Projector - DLP Hand-held Mini Projector.
Last time I asked my teacher friend, she said that she was satisfied with the the projector. I didn't go into the details though.http://www.aaxatech.com/products/p4_pico_projector.htm

Top Bottom