XF 2.1 Bug or "as is" - With Javascript disabled

Masetrix

I am currently instructing a new co admin in XF who never uses Javascript and made me aware of the following.
I have to clarify that here.

If JavaScript is deactivated, the text input field is only 3 lines high when replying to a Post. Bug or "as is"?

1591637161584.webp

Next:

1591637292810.webp

Some FontAwesome symbols are present (see buttons below in the 2nd screenshot) others (see above in the 2nd screenshot with the appearance "Languages ...") are missing.

Well, without JS it's just an unstyled textarea ... so yes, I'd say this is working as designed.

the style is defined by css, not JS.
If Javascript is activated there will be a height of 400px; use without, "75vh".
Everything else can be scaled correctly without JS, why not the text input field too?

This is not correct. There‘re also classes that will be loaded per JS
I know that.
However, a forum should also function properly there without JS.
Most of it can be done cleanly without JS.
The fact that the forum also uses JS Classen is not a really important argument where one works, but not the same elsewhere (see Fontawesome.).

Then there's the thing about the cookie hint.
If I visit the forum without active JS, as Guest, I should log in to click away the cookie notice. Why can I click away the cookie note with active JS, but not without JS?

If I visit the forum without active JS, as Guest, I should log in to click away the cookie notice. Why can I click away the cookie note with active JS, but not without JS?
Cause the cookie function is written in JS, so no JS no Function.

Why do you not use an static webpage? 'Cause you need some dynamic and that's not bringing by PHP, HTML nor CSS. It is indeed JS and AJAX

In case of the editor: It does function properly, you can submit posts.
Really, I wouldn't wast me time styling a textarea for clients without JavaScript just to make it a bit more pretty ...

There is a clear notice that JavaScript should be enabled, that's enough - users who have JavaScript disabled either have technical problem or (in most cases) are doing this willingly so they should know what they are doing and how to deal with that.

Then there's the thing about the cookie hint.
Agreed, though only for legal reasons.

Last edited:
Why do you not use an static webpage? '...
@mcatze You can't really mean that. Too tired?

In case of the editor: It does function properly, you can submit posts.
Really, I wouldn't wast me time styling a textarea for clients without JavaScript just to make it a bit more pretty ...
That's right, that was just a question because I overlooked the fact that Froala works based on JS and won't load without JS.

There is a clear notice that JavaScript should be enabled, that's enough - users who have JavaScript disabled either have technical problem or (in most cases) are doing this willingly so they should know what they are doing and how to deal with that.
However, the clear notice cannot mean that things that worked well in the previous version are neglected in the following code and are only carelessly patched so that some new things no longer work as expected. (Cookienotice...)
Likewise, addons can no longer be activated without js and vice versa etc.

Since it is apparently assumed that everyone uses js and so much new works without js only halfway or not at all, although that would be possible. If cookies do not work without JS, then functions expected by JS may not be active without JS.

That is what I mean by clean programming.

Today a lot of users use Noscript and adblock in the browser. I don't want to know how many registrations are lost because not even a cookie notice can be clicked away. And even if you manage to register without js you can't even log out without JS in XF 2.x. That can not be true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom