Branding removal for XenForo Cloud?

It's not something which is currently available for Cloud.

Thanks for the quick answer! That was my suspicion, but thanks for confirming.

I would be interested in that option becoming available, for what it’s worth. But particularly if you all are hosting it, I’d understand If you wanted to keep that branding compulsory to promote your work, as well.

That seems a shame. It's a simple thing to do technically, is supported on self hosted and I can't see any reason why a hosting plan should change this.

a user pays you 60/100/250 dollars per month (648/1.080/2.700 dollars per year) and also has to advertise to xenforo to get him to find new users?
Oh come on, the tiny copyright statement in the footer is hardly effective advertising. Most of the time, I don't scroll down that far even on my own site. I have not paid for branding removal on principle. I want people to know how my site is run, including what platform I am on. I suppose it qualifies as advertising to some but advertising, and even endorsing, a product I believe in is hardly a bad thing to me.

It's amazing people pay more to have CALVIN KLEIN marked on their underpants but also want to pay more to remove XENFORO from their forum!

By the way @Kier should think of some goodies, a boxer with XENFORO marked on the elastic I'll take 3 right away... to offer them to @Brogan ! Brogan what size ?

Oh come on, the tiny copyright statement in the footer is hardly effective advertising. Most of the time, I don't scroll down that far even on my own site. I have not paid for branding removal on principle. I want people to know how my site is run, including what platform I am on. I suppose it qualifies as advertising to some but advertising, and even endorsing, a product I believe in is hardly a bad thing to me.
Duh! Yes, agreed. Otherwise it's like arguing that you want the manufacturer's logo removed from your car, or any other product so that they all look generic. Completely ridiculous.

It's probably more effective than you would think. Back when I ran vBulletin, I made the link to vbulletin.com in the footer an affiliate link. I got enough affiliate sales to more than pay for the license (I think it was about $500-600 per year I would get as the smaller affiliate cut), so vBulletin was definitely making sales directly from my link.

It's probably more effective than you would think. Back when I ran vBulletin, I made the link to vbulletin.com in the footer an affiliate link. I got enough affiliate sales to more than pay for the license (I think it was about $500-600 per year I would get as the smaller affiliate cut), so vBulletin was definitely making sales directly from my link.
Interesting. Still, that's not a reason to remove it IMHO. Or at least it wouldn't be a priority for me even given a revenue stream (which I don't have). As I said, I don't consider promoting software that I like and endorse to be a bad thing.

Interesting. Still, that's not a reason to remove it IMHO. Or at least it wouldn't be a priority for me even given a revenue stream (which I don't have). As I said, I don't consider promoting software that I like and endorse to be a bad thing.
Ya, there are also cases (thinking more along the lines of using XenForo as a framework for a business, not a forum) where the footer link just isn't viable (but those are also the scenarios where you aren't using XF Cloud, so you have a paid option to remove it). In those scenarios, people coming to the business aren't there thinking, "Oh, I should start the same type of business... what software are they using?" So there's not a lot to gain for XF in those cases anyway.

Just to provide the rationale behind my question (though it's subjective and reasonable folks can hold opposing opinions) - there are a few reasons why I would be interested in branding removal:
  1. My footer is a narrow strip ~40px high that has a few buttons and footer links that share a baseline. The XenForo branding injected into this, however, is long enough all by itself that it forces wrapping on mobile and many tablet views, which roughly triples the height, and just doesn't look particularly good.
  2. In addition to XenForo's branding, I have the base theme I am working with, and several add-ons, all of which when configured by default add their own branding as well. Across all of these, I am left with a paragraph of advertising on an otherwise-deliberately sparse footer, and it objectively looks very bad. All but XenForo, though, allow removal for free or a fee.
  3. Philosophically, I just don't like the idea of being required to put a stamp on every page of a website promoting a product or service that is irrelevant to my audience. Objectively, even if you argue it's minor and not terribly visible, it is still negative to the experience. Putting an identical disclaimer in an 'about' page (where someone actually interested in the forum software would naturally investigate), to me, is a more reasonable approach, as is charging for removal to compensate for the lost monetization opportunity (which XenForo already does for standalone).
All of this to say, I don't think my asking is unreasonable, but if XenForo itself feels that the compulsory branding is reasonable, I can disagree with that while also understanding the reasons and justifications around why. Ultimately as a customer I want them to be successful out of self-interest, let alone because I just genuinely like their product.

Top Bottom