Bot hacking targeting xenforo and others

rosal

Since 3 January 2021 there is a bot targeting some platforms:

• Xenforo 1.5x
  • Xenforo 2.x
  • Wordpress
  • phpBB
  • IPS Community Suite

The bot enter in accounts and sometime change passwords.

IP- 178.137.16.56
Email - leonsio@gmail.com

Search for this IP in your forum to check if your forum has been targeted.

At this moment i dont know how the bot have the login data for the account users.

References over internet:

I have three users who recorded that IP this week. One registered in 2004, one in 2010, one in 2016.

Just because you have that IP in your logs doesn't automatically mean you have issues.

Hmmm... I automatically Delete IP usage data after 4 days and still I got 24 users matching the IP.

No records of IP-178.137.16.56 exist on my forum.
@woody: 3 members from the Ukraine?

My site is largely based around Toyota SUV's....a global product with a global audience. 33,752 unique visitors yesterday, only 63% of those US.

Hmmm... I automatically Delete IP usage data after 4 days and still I got 24 users matching the IP.
Something is going on...

Maybe the bot is using login data from other places Data Breaches or is something new related with any security breach in xenforo, because is affecting old users!

A lot of people use vpn and proxies, and they might appear to come from the same ip if they use the same service.

If you're using the tools built in (like stopforumspam), it should identify and block any bad registrants. They currently only have 3 reports from that IP, but it's enough to block it from registering. https://www.stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/178.137.16.56

That particular IP would appear to be a mobile phone carrier in or near Kyiv City, Ukraine.

Last edited:
We run very different forum systems (1 large, and 1 very small niche one) and both have been visited by this bot since at least as far back as Jan 2. 2 POSTs to add-reply, 19 to login, and 670 GETS. Timing between gets, or even between GET login and then POST (<= 1 second) shows nothing good from this location. /admin.php?users/ip-users shows 3 accounts confirmed compromised (2 well known users, 1 probationary without even posting access yet).

To add to the voices: BLOCK THIS IP.

rosal -- thank you for opening this thread. Without seeing it, this might have gone unnoticed longer...

I've been watching the bot since the FP's hint appeared
One should see this bot as a danger.

The bot is currently comparing accounts and passwords found in hacker databases to determine whether they can be used. If he finds such old accounts, he sometimes only changes the password. But he also creates profile postings to test whether the account can be used for writing.

I suspect that this is just a test and the bot verifies data in order to later actively spam with these accounts, also under other IP addresses.

Here as an example an account that has been inactive for 8 years and has now been taken over by the bot ...
1612085870285.webp

Therefore it is nonsense to block the IP. So you miss the opportunity to see which old user accounts may have been compromised and are in hacker databases. These could then also be misused by other IPs.

The bot is currently comparing accounts and passwords found in hacker databases to determine whether they can be used.
If it is automation, our Login Spaminator will stop it from logging in to any account you have on your board.

-- James with OzzModz/Snogs

The bot is currently comparing accounts and passwords found in hacker databases to determine whether they can be used. If he finds such old accounts, he sometimes only changes the password. But he also creates profile postings to test whether the account can be used for writing.
I found this ip myself (before seeing this post) when a spam post appeared in a profile from a long time user by a long time user. 2 users had been using this ip. I informed those users and blocked the ip.

If it is automation, our Login Spaminator will stop it from logging in to any account you have on your board.

-- James with OzzModz/Snogs

The bot is not only automated.
In larger forums, one person tries to get access.
I conclude that from the procedure that "the bot" used the headings "test" and "i'm in ..." in its first tests.(Profile posting) Only real people do that. :)

The bot is not only automated.
In larger forums, one person tries to get access.
I conclude that from the procedure that "the bot" used the headings "test" and "i'm in ..." in its first tests. Only real people do that. :)
After login. Which is beside my point. Then if it's not a bot doing that in bold, if that's from a human, we still assume it is automation doing the brute force login work. Or is it some dude trying 100s maybe even 1000s of passwords manually? You can't know. Login Spaminator stops it and proves it, IF it is done via automation.

IP addresses aren't revealing. Those can be easily spoofed. So can user agent strings.

Top Bottom