XF 1.3 Board mode when installing addons

Floyd R Turbo

I've always assumed that you should uncheck "Board is Active" in ACP before doing the following:

Backing up the Database
Backing up the Xenforo Directory
Installing an addon
Upgrading an addon

But I don't see that as a recommendation in the Help section, so is that really necessary?

I guess I would like to understand the processes involved when you do such maintenance, and is there a particular reason why you should turn the board off?

For instance, if I have 2 Admins and I shut off the board to install an addon, the other admin can still post (I think). If he does this in the middle of an addon install, can that hose things up? What about on a board with many users online, can an addon be installed or upgraded while the site is live?

When you do a XenForo upgrade, it is unavailable to regular visitors anyway.
It doesn't hurt to close it though.

For add-ons, it depends on the add-on.
Some of the upgrades for my add-on I recommend that it is closed, due to the nature of the changes.

Some addons may break the forum before being configured, so the author may recommend you disable the site.

Others may do nothing, and the site doesn't have to be disabled.

I never disable the board while installing or upgrading addons.

Liam

Thanks guys. I don't recall seeing specific instructions for shutting the board off in the install instructions for any of the addons I've installed, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

When you do a XenForo upgrade, it is unavailable to regular visitors anyway.

Yep, I knew that core upgrades did this, but for an addon even shutting the board off doesn't prohibit another admin from posting. I had that happen during an addon install and it didn't cause any problems but it made me a bit nervous when I saw that a post was made in the middle of an install. I figured that if it was that important, the board would go into total lock-down somehow and would have prevented the post.

Top Bottom