Blogs

alfan

I run a vBulletin site, and I am desperate to get out of there and move to something more modern and userfriendly such as xenForo. And while xenForo is 1000 times better as a forum software, a very important part of my site is user blogs.

So my question is if there are plans to offer an official blog plugin for xenForo, and if when?

I know there is a third party beta blog plugin, but we can not rely on a plugin that might stop being developed and isent officially supported.

I run a vBulletin site, and I am desperate to get out of there and move to something more modern and userfriendly such as xenForo. And while xenForo is 1000 times better as a forum software, a very important part of my site is user blogs.

So my question is if there are plans to offer an official blog plugin for xenForo, and if when?

I know there is a third party beta blog plugin, but we can not rely on a plugin that might stop being developed and isent officially supported.
Just a statement regarding LN Blog, Onimua has no intention of stopping development on it anytime in the future.

Its nice that he has an intention to continue development of the plugin, however since my business rely heavily on the blogs it will be to large a risk. I really need a platform where both forum and blogs are offered and integrated by the same company :)

XF had told that there are no plans to build a blog or cms in the near future.
so you have to use lnblog or to wait a long time and stay with vb.
your choice
i would prefer lnblog ;)

hmm I think I will stay with vb for now then :eek: but I will keep an eye on lnblog and see how it develops :)

And while I stay with vb I better stop looking at xenForo, I just "hate" how nice it is to use this compared to vb, and I "hate" that powerfull Alert system xenForo has here, on my vb site I use a lot of time to find replies to my posts, and here I just get an alert :mad: no wasting time to find things I would like to keep an eye on.

do you really really need a full blown blog system?
i have thought this before and had changed my mind.
now im building all i need in the forum itself. there are several choices to use a forum as a blog and a article system.

my user love it, because they get all the information by clicking "whats new"
if you have a blog addon, a article addon and so on, this will never happen.

have a look at jaxels portal, this is powerful and will help you to build a new community.
ask yourself: will i only copy my vb on xf or will i build something new.

after i switched from smf to xf my community is grown by over 100% in just 5 month.(after 3 years online with smf) that speaks for xf himself.

btw. lnblog is very nice and an update is just coming in a few days.

hope you understand my english

hmm I think I will stay with vb for now then :eek: but I will keep an eye on lnblog and see how it develops :)

And while I stay with vb I better stop looking at xenForo, I just "hate" how nice it is to use this compared to vb, and I "hate" that powerfull Alert system xenForo has here, on my vb site I use a lot of time to find replies to my posts, and here I just get an alert :mad: no wasting time to find things I would like to keep an eye on.

Another thing to consider depending on how your blogs are used, is wordpress. If it's mainly your staff using the blog feature, there are some nice plugins that will integrate wordpress with XF in a decent manor.

Two examples off the top of my head, though I've seen some others emerging

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/wordpress-3-bridge.5398/ - will bridge users.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xendynamic-wordpress-theme.19856/ - will bridge design

now im building all i need in the forum itself. there are several choices to use a forum as a blog and a article system.

Well this is actually something I have been thinking very hard about (and still do). But the problem is that the blogs stand for about 70 percent of my site activity, people love to have their own blog space. So making such a radical change could kill my site, but then agin it could also be positive since the overall experience of xenForo is much better with its Alerts, following and Likes.

Could someone with LN Blog installed at your site you please post the URL because I'm also interested in how it looks and works on a "live" site.

My current blogs are less important that yours alfan (in terms of the features my members use) and one of the ideas I had was to simply create a forum called Blogs and copy the blog content into it. But it's not the same, so if LN Blog covers most of the basics of what you need and your members could rub along with it (once they've got used to it) then it might be worth consider the switch anyway.

I'm of the mind at the moment that I haven't really got much to lose - especially as I prefer using my test XF install to my main site!!!. There's just something about XF that makes it so easy and friendly to use that I expect even if I dropped every single "extra" and just went back to being a simple forum, we'd still fair better than we do now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - and don't forget to show XF off to some of your trusted/valued members - they might not be so worried about blogs as you think they might be ... (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

We started using the forums for this on a site I worked on, we just made a custom style for the "blog" forum with sub forums for each persons seperate blog. The custom style showed the first post in an article format, and duplicated the styling for profile posts for the comments on it, which were really just thread replies as far as XF was concerned.

It was a nice solution completely using the core. We were also able to pull it off with no template edits using the templateHook system.

Could someone with LN Blog installed at your site you please post the URL because I'm also interested in how it looks and works on a "live" site.

My current blogs are less important that yours alfan (in terms of the features my members use) and one of the ideas I had was to simply create a forum called Blogs and copy the blog content into it. But it's not the same, so if LN Blog covers most of the basics of what you need and your members could rub along with it (once they've got used to it) then it might be worth consider the switch anyway.

I'm of the mind at the moment that I haven't really got much to lose - especially as I prefer using my test XF install to my main site!!!. There's just something about XF that makes it so easy and friendly to use that I expect even if I dropped every single "extra" and just went back to being a simple forum, we'd still fair better than we do now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - and don't forget to show XF off to some of your trusted/valued members - they might not be so worried about blogs as you think they might be ... (y)

Cheers,
http://www.entropiaplanets.com/forums/blogs/

my user love it, because they get all the information by clicking "whats new"
if you have a blog addon, a article addon and so on, this will never happen.

have a look at jaxels portal, this is powerful and will help you to build a new community.
ask yourself: will i only copy my vb on xf or will i build something new.

after i switched from smf to xf my community is grown by over 100% in just 5 month.(after 3 years online with smf) that speaks for xf himself.

hope you understand my english
Few days = several weeks (tentatively).

Also, one of the programmers here is working on a What's New add-on that'll replace the default What's New feature of XenForo, allowing custom content types to be displayed properly.

Cheers,
http://orojackson.com/blogs/ ^^

@alfan: LNBlog is awesome, its does what it is meant to do and simple to use. I'd suggested you can shift and use the plugin as the developer doesn't plan to stop developing the add-on.

As everyone has already said, I have seen no indication from Onimua's side as to stop development of his plugin and I would recommend it first because of it's tight integration with XenForo.

Have you thought of trying WordPress Multisite (previously WordPress MU)? Since we already have a XenForo-WordPress bridge, this may be something you may want to look into. Details to expand a WordPress installation into a network may be seen here.
http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

I've try many times to motivate my users to use blogso_O , they just didn't get the idea:rolleyes: . Therefore I decided to create a forum, call it "Blog" implement a new style where thread list/thread view display like a blog. Change the term "create a thread". Pull out the latest blogs 'thread" from that forum in the sidebar ;)
I used vBulletin 4 Importer to import all my blogs.

Its nice that he has an intention to continue development of the plugin, however since my business rely heavily on the blogs it will be to large a risk. I really need a platform where both forum and blogs are offered and integrated by the same company
Completely understandable, and I wouldn't ask you or anyone to jump in blindly into something they were unsure of. :)
That's not to say the blog won't be a full-blown system either I hope. ;) I've got a book of plans but have yet to figure out the best way to duplicate myself to do it faster.
Not days, but not months either. :)
A slice of turkey is sounding delicious right about now...
Well this is actually something I have been thinking very hard about (and still do). But the problem is that the blogs stand for about 70 percent of my site activity, people love to have their own blog space. So making such a radical change could kill my site, but then agin it could also be positive since the overall experience of xenForo is much better with its Alerts, following and Likes.
Looks into what features your members use most, rank them from most-used to least-used, and decide your options that way?
In the FAQ of my add-on thread, you'll find a list of links there that have active installations as examples.

Top Bottom