Blocking Spammers Who Edit Posts

dash

I have been able to reduce most of the spammers by sending a users first post to moderation if it contains a link. What still gets through are spammers who write a message without a link, then go back and edit the message (sometimes a day or 2 later) to add a spam link.

Any tips on how to stop this?

Sneaky buggers, aren't they?

You could try:
  • sending a user's first post to moderation regardless of content. It should be pretty obvious if it's a spam message.
  • preventing the editing of a post after 24 hours for users with less than a certain post count. May need an add-on, not sure.
Nothing is foolproof, but this should help.

No it can be done with user group promotion and permissions
Why not?
We make that since years.
New users are in the registered group. In this group they are allowed to edit their posts for 10 minutes and all their posts are moderated. When they have written 10 posts they are promoted to the group >Reg_10 and they have 6 hours to edit and their posts are not moderated.

Why not?
We make that since years.
New users are in the registered group. In this group they are allowed to edit their posts for 10 minutes and all their posts are moderated. When they have written 10 posts they are promoted to the group >Reg_10 and they have 6 hours to edit and their posts are not moderated.
???

I agree, I said it can be done with usergroup promotion and permissions. I've been doing it for years also

Just set post edit limit to something like 20 minutes.
I had it at 15 at one point but a member who was prone to repeated edits due to ADHD or something like that convinced us to extend it to 30. Also, the guy whose actions led us to put it at 15 got banned, which took away most of the reason for having the short edit window. :rolleyes:

But, yeah, it is fairly easy to set with groups so having it shorter for new signups than regular members would just be a matter of using a promotion.

Thanks everyone. Removed the edit option from registered users and created a new group for trusted registered users. Once they hit a threshold of posts, users move to this new group and can edit their posts. This should solve the problem or can be tweaked to address changes in spammer tactics.

Top Bottom