Better anti spam tools

Walter

A few suggestions regarding the recent spam flood:

• Spam filter in forum: option to not only ban the users but also delete them (additional checkbox if the user has the rights to delete a user)
  • ACP: User common searches accessible directly from Home screen (e.g. on the place where "User Advanced Search" sits
  • ACP: a link to search the posts from a user available in the user profile
  • For admins with several forums it would be really nice if there was a way to have a central table of banned emails shared by several forums. Everytime I add an email I have to add it 30 times.
  • user group rights to disallow URL and IMG in profile/signatures/posts to minimize the damage if the spammers gets through. And yes, I know about nofollow, but some spammers post links to malware
(but in general, it's a pleasure to handle spam in Xenforo compared to vb - but with these improvements it would be perfect)

Upvote 9
It would have saved me a lot of time if, in the Admin CP, I could sort the "all users" list by date of registration. I basically had to search through all of my user list to find spam users that had been created as far back as mid June 2012.

It would also be handy to be able to mass/group delete users from that page as well.

Spam filter in forum: option to not only ban the users but also delete them (additional checkbox if the user has the rights to delete a user)
Definitely.
ACP: User common searches accessible directly from Home screen (e.g. on the place where "User Advanced Search" sits
+Like
ACP: a link to search the posts from a user available in the user profile
Really needed.

For admins with several forums it would be really nice if there was a way to have a central table of banned emails shared by several forums. Everytime I add an email I have to add it 30 times.
Interesting idea. Maybe that could be a part of XenSSO ?

user group rights to disallow URL and IMG in profile/signatures/posts to minimize the damage if the spammers gets through. And yes, I know about nofollow, but some spammers post links to malware.
Obvious.

Would this help ?

(1) Moderate every new user.
(2) enable mods, admins to set unmoderate from the forums, after reading a post that is reasonable (on topic, not spam).

Moderator view of Moderated Post:
unmoderate.button.webp

Clicking "Unmoderate" would make it disappear.

I've given up on banning individual emails & IP's forum by forum. Xrumer seems to generate news ones by the minute by creating new gmail.com & mail.ru addresses on the fly; IP's change quickly as new proxies (often compromised PC's) are added to the botnet. Relying on 3rd parties sources (e.g. StopForumSpam) to decide who to block is much better than trying to maintain blocked IP & email data in multiple XF & other sites.

I've given up on banning individual emails & IP's forum by forum. Xrumer seems to generate news ones by the minute by creating new gmail.com & mail.ru addresses on the fly; IP's change quickly as new proxies (often compromised PC's) are added to the botnet. Relying on 3rd parties sources (e.g. StopForumSpam) to decide who to block is much better than trying to maintain blocked IP & email data in multiple XF & other sites.

agree... I think the ban email option is good for killing off temp emails extensions, these are often used by malicious users rather than bots
See here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/list-of-temporary-emails-that-you-can-ban.38847/

You can't really keep a local database of banned bot emails and ip addresses (That's an API's job)

Top Bottom